SEO Question

240v

Super Perfectionist
Hey,

I don't if there are any SEO gurus on the forums, but basically heres the thing. I want my website to be the first result when people google my name, but right now I have my Twitter, FB, SoundCloud and Bandcamp on top. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

Link to your official band site in your forum signature in every forum that you post in. Then post a lot of meaningful content.

I haven't read to clearly, but it seems that most search engines' primary metric is what links go out from other sites to your site. So if you have hundreds of instances of links saying "Taka Perry" going to takaperry.com (or whatever it is) scattered about various sites, it will raise your rankings. So to improve your rankings you need as many instances of your name linking to your site as possible on as many pages as possible. Forum signatures are a good way to do this.

At least, that's what's worked for me. Of course, you may want to try to avoid doing anything that looks like Google bombing. They drop your rankings down if you do stuff like that.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I guess it's slowly working since my website is in my signature.

And definately man, don't wanna use any blackhat methods. I wanna get my website up there in the correct way! :)

Make sure to include relevant text content in your site, and don't hide it in Flash. Don't use the meta keywords tag at all. Make the site as standards compliant and accessible as is practical.

I'm not an SEO guru by any stretch of the imagination, however I do have a job in internet marketing so I had to learn some of the basics.

Things you can do:

- Make sure and link to your page from all of your profiles (twitter, fb, forum, etc.). If you can specify an anchor text, do so with the desired keywords (your name). In other words, the text you click on is "Bob Jones" rather than the actual web address.

- Link back to your social profiles from the website itself.

- Add a blog to the band site and write posts periodically sharing them to social sites.

- Make sure your name appears in the text of the website at once for every 100 words. That's a 1% keyword density... going over that is not a good thing. Not putting your name at all will tell Google this site really isn't about you.

- If you can build links on other sites, ask if they will put the anchor text as your name.

There are so many things you can do to increase the value of your site over your social profiles. It just might take a little bit of study to learn the basic practices. The bottom line is everything you do online can be used for SEO purposes with a little thought.

Lots of good info - one extremely obvious, but often overlooked item - The words that display on the title bar when accessing the page should be the most relevant search term. If you want it to be your name then your name should be first, exactly as you want it searched. Go to your site URL. Look at the title bar on your browser.

Back