Sensitive guitar finish?

hixmix

Halibut, North Dakota
I have a 1990 Taylor 555-12 with a satin finish top and gloss back and sides(more recent ones have gloss tops). I hadn't play the thing in several years and recently took it in for a set up. It's kind of like a new toy now and I've been playing it alot. When I'm done playing, sometimes, I've noticed some hazing and tackiness to the gloss finish on the back and sides where it's up against my body. I've discovered there is no reaction in the finish when I'm wearing 100% cotton shirts. Could it be synthetic fibers in the shirt material chemically reacting with the finish to cause the hazing and tackiness?

:confused: :confused:

Hard to pin down without seeing the problem. It sounds like "blushing" to me. This can happen when moisture penetrates the finish and gets trapped. Its more normal when the finish is still curing so its odd if its happening on an older instrument. When the moisture evaporates through the finish it should return to normal. I assume the finish returns to normal when left alone? How is the humidity where you are at the moment. The fact that you say the finish is tacky means that the finish maybe softening for some reason. Its also unlikely that the fibres of your clothing are to blame. If that was the case Taylors would have a pretty poor rep. Other possible causes could be to do with any wax or silicate polishes that may have been used on the finish in the past. Did the guy who did the setup use anything on the finish?

I'd give Talor a call and try to at least identify the finish on that model from that time. Then ask the guy who set it up if he used anything on it. Its not something I've seen on any Taylor before.

The hazing does disappear after a few minutes. So you're right about the moisture. It's probably not my shirt but from my perspiration.

Almost certain its surface contamination from some cleaning product in that case. I'd check that out first. Have you used any polish or cleaning product on it or has your setup tech.

Back