Sennhieser 421 mic holder

Try the knitting box

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I make my 421 clips from old broken SM57/58 type clips, all you need is a small iron saw and a file. Make them fit very tight and the mic will never fall out of it's clip again.

The original 421 clips are expensive pieces of crap.

Accoridng to my Sennheiser price guide, they don't make the "clips" any more for the 421. The closest thing would be the shock mount and those run about $45 bucks at American Musical Supply (www.americanmusical.com) Id you want like one of the old school clips like they used to have with the desk and broadcast stands, look around in pawn shops and ebay.

I agree about the original 421 clips constantly falling out. I have had a lot of 421's in the voiceover classes I took and sure enough an evening could hardly go by without somebody trying to adjust the mic and winding up with the mic falling out on them.

Are you recording or playing live?

If you dont mind using a shockmount, check out the sabra som universal jobs.

I think they are about 50 bucks.

I ordered a 421 clip and a 441 clip from the Sennheiser-USA web site last year. Took forever to get one of them (don't remember which). And they're expensive. If I had it to do again, I would go with some kind of universal thingy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm just using it for recording so the universal shock mount would work, but I don't really want to spend $50. on a mic holder. I'll probably try and make something up if I can find a broken Shure holder. Hmmm I had one around here somewhere...

I broke down and paid $35 for one at Guitar Center. What the heck, I got the mic for free. Anyway, GC had to special order it and Sennheiser had messed up the order, which I found out when the store called me in. At this point I had waited a couple of weeks and found myself in the store looking at another wait. Peering in the display case, I said to the sales guy, "Why don't you just give me the clip on that one right there?" He said he could not, despite the fact that I paid for one and they called me into the store for nothing. I was pretty torqued at this point and complained to the manager. I was not leaving without it. He took care of it.

I wish I had thought of Han's suggestion, because I could have saved a few bucks and I have a couple of broken 57 clips, not to mention that the 421 hits the deck often, due to the fact that the little button on the clip releases so easily.

I have six MD421's and only a single original clip, all the others are broken.

The other five 421's are all equipped with a diy clip from an old broken Radio Shack SM57/58 type clip. The plastic of these clips is much more tough and I've made then so tight that if you want the mic come off of the stand you'll have to unscrew the mic together with the clip from the stand. But that's never neccesary.

This is the perfect solution, never has a 421 fallen of it's clip again and none of these clips has been broken since.

micclip.jpg

Back