Sennheiser mics

wholelottabonzo

Does anybody use or rate sennhiser for drum mics?

I have been introduced to someone who used to work for sennhiser and they still have an account with them.

The guy said he can get me some mics for some real silly prices.

I need to now if they are any good and which ones to get.

What I want to use is:

1 or 2 overheads,

A snare mic,

And a bass drum mic.

They will be used for mainly live work but I will do a bit of recording with them.

Thanks.

The MD421 mics are standards for tom mics, they are also great on bass and guitar. They really don't make anything that I would use as overheads. I have never tried their kick mic. A 57 is still the best on snare.

yea i heard good things about the 421 on toms. i need to get one of those.

definitely sm57 on snare.

i also heard good things about the e604 on toms, the little clip mics. im thinking of getting one of those to see how they fair.

i can tell you what NOT to get. a few people said the e609, which is normally used for guitar cabs, is good on toms. but i'd beg to differ. an e609 on a tom gives it a very thin, airy, echo sound, and i despise it! gonna stick with that one on the cab.

The e604's are great. The biggest problem I run into is the clips don't work on drums with Rimsmount hardware.

I recommend using regular mic stands with the e604s instead of the clips. I found that they vibrate significantly, especially on rack toms. You can definitely hear the effects in the studio. The clips are probably just fine for live use though and very convenient.

I've heard others say positive things about the e602 kick mic, but I've never used one. I'd be inclined to go for it if I could get a great bargain on one.

PhiloBeddoe said:
I recommend using regular mic stands with the e604s instead of the clips. I found that they vibrate significantly, especially on rack toms. You can definitely hear the effects in the studio. The clips are probably just fine for live use though and very convenient.

I've heard others say positive things about the e602 kick mic, but I've never used one. I'd be inclined to go for it if I could get a great bargain on one.

I'll 2nd that! I did a quick recording using the e604s on clips and the vibration, especially from the rack toms, was out of hand. I haven't recorded them since then with those mics (I did buy stands, though!), but I consistently got a great sound from all of my toms (8/10/12/14/16) using the E604s live on the clips.

One thing to remember: It's all in the tuning. The best mics in the world can't compensate for bad tuning!

MD421 for every drum (great on snare, kick, toms)
MD441 for hi-hat, didn't try yet for overheads but imagine that this could work too.

Farview said:
The MD421 mics are standards for tom mics, they are also great on bass and guitar. They really don't make anything that I would use as overheads. I have never tried their kick mic. A 57 is still the best on snare.
Farview, have you ever tried a Beyer M201 on snare?

I use the 604s for recording and live, I love them. I did upgrade the clamps to the CAD drum clamps though, this helps the vibration issues and works on most drums with RIMS hardware.

for live, my band uses an AKG d112 kick mic, an sm57 on the snare, Octava mk-012 about 8" above the center of the toms, and an Octava mk-012 overhead center. All inside a plexi enclosure.
We tried the Senn' 602 kick mic but I like the crisper tone of the AKG.

MadAudio said:
Farview, have you ever tried a Beyer M201 on snare?

I use the Beyer M422 on th snare and love it.

The M201 isn't bad, but I preferred the M422 because it has a much tighter pattern.

Tim

Toki987 said:
for live, my band uses an AKG d112 kick mic, an sm57 on the snare, Octava mk-012 about 8" above the center of the toms, and an Octava mk-012 overhead center. All inside a plexi enclosure.
We tried the Senn' 602 kick mic but I like the crisper tone of the AKG.

I didnt think about it before when I posted this, that I don`t know shit about mics other than 57's, 58's, and md421's from another century. These mics we are using now might not be the right, or the best mics for the jobs, but they sound real good, so there... :)

i like the sound of the 602 kick mic a whole lot. but like everything, it depends on the drum, the drummer and the style of music being recorded.

the 835 vocal mic makes a pretty good snare mic (aim it at the shell of the snare), and i like the 609 "ok" on top of the snare. it's not great, but it's a different sound than the sm57 (which i've never been overly fond of). the biggest benefit of the 609 on snare IMO is that its bleed is a lot more palatable to my ears than that from an sm57.

cheers,
wade

i have a sennhieser e609, it works great as a snare mic, my friend and I have also used it for recording guitar cabinets, it works great I.M.O.

hope this helps

- Luis

Back