Sennheiser MD421 versus Audio Technica ATM25

Yareek

So who has used both and what do you think?

I was reading the latest issue of Modern Drummer, and an engineer said that he uses them interchangably on toms. In fact, he used them on all the toms on the latest Disturbed album (haven't heard it so I can't say whether it worked or not).

I searched a bit, and while the ATM25 seems really popular for a moderately-neutral kick mic, it only came up briefly in talks about guitar, toms, and bass.

So what do you think of the two for toms (rack and floor), guitar cabs, and bass guitar? And how about the difference in sound between the two?

I have 4 MD421's and a AT25. I used the AT25 on a floor tom once when the rythym track just consisted of floor tom and cymbals. It gave a really 'heavy' driving sound and suited that particular track better than the MD421. I wouldn't say they are interchangeable but differnent and it's always good to have choices.

MD421's are great on toms, i use them on toms, guitar cabs along with my e609,
and sometimes on heavy rock vocals. IMO i'd pick up a few of them
and get like a AKD D12 or D112 for bass cabs. I prefer either AKG over the ATM25 on bass cabs.

Yareek said:
So what do you think of the two for toms (rack and floor), guitar cabs, and bass guitar? And how about the difference in sound between the two?

421 has more of a presence peak thing going on in the mids. They can be kinda tubby for toms - even when monkeying with the roll off. (I prefer a SDC's on toms if that gives you my vantage point.) For guitar and bass cabs - amazing tool.

ATM25 really comes off as more of a "kick" mic to me. On amps, I like it for micing the back of open backs…but up front…not my cup of tea as there's not enough top. 421 always beat it out on bass cabs for me. Lotsa lows on kick…meaty on toms while still picking up a good amount of attack there.

On toms I'd say either would work - but on instrument cabs I'd favor a 421 by a few miles. Having both sure isn't a bad thing. You can find the ATM25's pretty cheap...

Mike

Back