Sennheiser MD 421 for kick

fretmeister

I'm thinking of buy a mic for kick, but would not use it that much. An MD 421 would be more versatile. I've done a search and it seems it can be used for kick. I play and record jazz, blues, rock, bluegrass and acoustic, and I could use the mic live as well. I have a drum kit in my studio, but i don't play drums. Here's my mic list:
AT 4033
AKG C 460 and AKG C 480 (same capsule, small condensers)
2 SM 57 (Unidyne III, actually)
Shure Beta 87 A

Any advice?
Jim

The 421 is definately a good kick mic. It's also very versitile, it is commonly used for percussion, snare and toms, vocals, electric guitar, bass guitar, horns, the list goes on.

The atm25 is also a very versatile mic that is good for kick as well as many other applications. However, if cost wasn't an issue I'd probably lean towards then md421 as well.

fretmeister said:
I'm thinking of buy a mic for kick, but would not use it that much. An MD 421 would be more versatile. I've done a search and it seems it can be used for kick. I play and record jazz, blues, rock, bluegrass and acoustic, and I could use the mic live as well. I have a drum kit in my studio, but i don't play drums. Here's my mic list:
AT 4033
AKG C 460 and AKG C 480 (same capsule, small condensers)
2 SM 57 (Unidyne III, actually)
Shure Beta 87 A

Any advice?
Jim
The Sennheiser MD421 is my favorite mic for kick drum... also what I like about the MD421 is... it also works great on so many other sound sources like, drums, sax, vox, amps, and etc, etc... the MD421 is a "must have" mic IMO. I also have a Beta52, D112, ATM25, RE20, MD441 and etc... and my second favorite kick mic is the ATM25... and it sounds totally different than the MD421... but nice.

MD421 works awesome on kicks. I will use two of the following when doing kicks: D112, MD421 or RE20. MD421 is the most versatile of the bunch--good for bass cabs, guitar (if you want it to be 'darker' sounding--great for distance mics).

I have one and I use it on floor tom most of the time and a Beta-52 on kick. I have also used it for trumpet. Really good there. Trumpet's SPL must be considerable so I'm afraid to use a condenser and the 421 really gets it. I have never used it on a kick as I'm happy with what I get from the 52. I would try it though. Placement suggestions?

ChuckU said:
I have one and I use it on floor tom most of the time and a Beta-52 on kick. I have also used it for trumpet. Really good there. Trumpet's SPL must be considerable so I'm afraid to use a condenser and the 421 really gets it. I have never used it on a kick as I'm happy with what I get from the 52. I would try it though. Placement suggestions?
Inside kick... about 5" back from beater and a little off axis... also sometimes a little pellow helps depending on the drum and etc.

Back