Sennheiser MD-421 clip question

dalley

ok here's my question ... the clips for the 421 (at least the one I have) are threaded for use with a mic stand post which is about half the diameter of a standard mic stand post. Is there anywhere I can get an adapter to convert from a standard size to the smaller one without buying a whole new stand?

That is a threaded insert inside the mic mount. Unscrew it and the mount fits on a US-standard mic stand.

c7sus said:
That is a threaded insert inside the mic mount. Unscrew it and the mount fits on a US-standard mic stand.

Yup. They include the "insert" with the mic clip so it can fit smaller diameter stands.

tnjazz said:
You just need a 5/8 to 3/8 adapter. Should be fairly easy to find at your local music store or on line. Look here and scroll down about halfway for a pic.

http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm

Yes, it's a brass screw-in thread adaptor; put a dime (U.S. coin) in the slot and unscrew it from the mic clip, and you're good to go. I'd save the adaptor, in the event that you buy some AKG (or other European-made) mic stands or booms in the future.

Good advice, but...it's not necessarily a removable adapter. I've got two clips for a pair of Beyers that have the metal threaded adapter physically locked into the plastic clip somehow.

Short of destroying the mount there's no way to get it out of there (it must be glued in on all sides or something). Believe me, I've tried.

I just ordered a couple of those adapters anyway ... I'll try to get the threaded part out as well to see

either way I should be covered

Always good to have a couple of these in the drawer for when you need them anyway. Same goes for the reverse adapter as well (3/8 up to 5/8).

Good luck!

tnjazz said:
Good advice, but...it's not necessarily a removable adapter. I've got two clips for a pair of Beyers that have the metal threaded adapter physically locked into the plastic clip somehow.

Short of destroying the mount there's no way to get it out of there (it must be glued in on all sides or something). Believe me, I've tried.

Maybe Beyer does that but Sennheiser doesn't.

tnjazz said:

I own a bunch of Sennheiser mics (including MD-421's) , and all of them came with removeable brass thread adaptors; I'm assuming replacement MD-421 mic clips also have the removeable adaptors.

are those stupid little threaded pieces of metal really $5 a pop?
i have a couple stands that have the smaller male ends and a ton of mic clips that have the big female end. i've tried finding these online before with no luck.. no local stores carry them and a guy i asked at sam ash says people ask for them all the time.
i guess now i know why they aren't stocked more often!

Back