Sennheiser E 835 Question

Antz_Marchin

I've been looking at getting an sm58 as my first dynaic mic for live vocals but I jjst noticed this one. How does this E835 stand up to the sm58 for vocals?? (I know each voice is different I'm just looking at general overall quality and sound compared to the 58)
Thanks .....BJ

I first had an SM58, then got some e835's just to test them out, and to be honest, I thought they sounded so much warmer, yet clearer (if that makes sense).

In a live situation I would only really use the e835's or e845's I've got now. For other people though, they usually feel 'more comfortable' with the SM58, usually because its the one they know.

Get the e835 - you won't be disappointed. It's good for pretty much any application you'd want a dynamic mic, whether it be mic'ing a speaker or snare or live vocals.

I did a comparison with a female vocalist and she preferred both sennheiser models over the sm58. She ended up getting the E845. They are both good but its best if you can go try them out for yourself.

58's are terrible in off axis rejection. 835's are fine, but I actually prefer Audix OM-5's or OM-7's for real screamers. Excellent off axis rejection for stage use.

Stone

go with the 835 (or 845), like Neil said, it sounds "clearer but warmer" than a sm58. I also noticed that with my mixer you usually have to eq the sm58, but the 835 sounds perfect without any eq

I love the 835. Great dynamic vocal mic, but for recording it's been great on guitar amps and drums as well.

I mostly use it in my home studio, but when I was in a band it was the lead vocal mic.

Very focused. Works great for singing in front of blastin' monitors.

Also great for scratch vocals at the DAW with the nearfields cranked.

I'd like to have both, but the 835 has never let me down.

Good luck!
Pat

Back