Sending Phantom Power into Direct Outs

Vagodeoz

One-Man-Band
Hello people!
I'm having some serious doubts and I was hoping you guys could help me.
My problem is this:
I have a Behringer Xenyx 2442FX Mixer, and a Tascam 1641 USB recording interface, and for live gigs, I wanted to record multitrack from my mixer, to my Tascam, which has 8 Mic inputs, plus 6 line ins.
I was going to build myself a 8 channel recording snake, Plug (Mixer's direct out), to XLR (Tascam Ins).
The problem comes when I want to use ambience microphones. I was thinking to put a pair of Rode Nt5's in channel 1 and 2 of my Tascam, and using all others to connect to the mixer.
One BIG problem, is that my Tascam 1641 sends phantom in groups of 4 channels, so when I send phantom to power my condenser pair, it's also sending phantom power to two of the direct outputs of the mixer.
I'm not really sure what that will do to my mixer, but I'm sure it isn't any good.

So do you guys have any ideas on how to solve this?
Thanks in advance.

Good question here. I am not sure of the answer, but am also now very curious. I use that exact Tascam unit so it piques my interest. If I had to guess, I don't think you'll run into any issues here. For example when you run a mic that doesn't need +48, but gets it anyway, no real issues occur. The dynamic mic will still work, and the sound is essentially the same for all intensive purposes.

That's right, a dynamic mike works with phantom.
Hell, I even sent phantom to my ribbon mike the other day by accident and it still works :eek:
However, I'm not sure if it's the same with active devices, such as Mixers, that has a lot more circuits.
One way I was thinking, is since Pin 2 is where phantom is sent, then maybe grounding Pin 2, and connecting the signal to Pin 3.
This however would give me the signal with an inverted phase, but that's a lot easier to fix than a burned down mixer.

So let me know if you guys have another option for this, or if anyone can assure me it won't do anything to my mixer.
I need to start buying the cables and connectors for the snake in a couple of days, so I would like to have it all figured out by then.

Thanks.

The answer is it depends on whether the Behringer is designed to tolerate that voltage on its direct out. There is really no way to give a definite answer without asking a knowledgeable person at Behri, or seeing its schematic. It could be just fine, or it could destroy an active component.

That said, why not use the Tascam's line ins? That gets you 14 mic inputs without worrying about sending phantom the wrong place, no?

Also, phantom is on pin 2 and pin 3, no help there.

Let's see again:
My Tascam Recording Interface has 8 XLR inputs, 6 of which I will connect to the Direct Outs of my mixer, and the other 2 XLR inputs will be a pair of condenser microphones for ambience.
Now, the problem is that my Tascam 1641, sends phantom power in groups of 4 inputs. Either you activate phantom in channel 1-4, or you deactivate it. Same for channels 5-8.
So I plug 2 condensers, and it will send phantom to those 2 condensers, plus other 2 inputs, which I am supposed to use for my mixer's direct out.
Makes sense now?
I'm sure it isn't a regular or professional way to record, but given to my gear limitations, I don't have other choice.

Edit: HI mshilarious, long time no see!
Well, I guess I'll just have to find a more secure way of doing that.
My mixer has 10 Mic inputs, and I need to record those channels, plus a stereo ambience pair, so that is 12 in total.
Maybe I could plug the condenser mikes in mic ins 1 and 2, and leave 3 and 4 unplugged, and using all other 10 inputs (4 mic, 6 line) for the mixer channels....
Thanks to help me clear ir out.
I still wanted to know if it could handle it, but I guess it depends on a lot of things.
In fact, it's such an uncommon situation that it's likely that the guys at Behringer didn't even think about it.
So I guess I'll have to do two recording snakes :-/
One of 6 channels, with 4 XLR and 2 Plug (the ones on the front of the 1641), and one with 4 Plugs (the ones in the back of the 1641).
It's not as practical as I thought it would be, but if it works, then I'm happy.
Thanks again mshilarious. Can't wait for your tube mike to come out!

No, you send six direct outs to the six line inputs, and use up to eight mic inputs on the Tascam. Unless the Tascam is shares the mic inputs and line inputs on a channel, then you'd only have two extra mic inputs.

General rule is line output to line input, even without phantom.

I've got you now... But mshilarious is quite right... line in brother, line in...

I just looked at the Tascam... you've got four balanced inputs and outputs on the back there... more than you need for what you're trying to do... Take four channels off the back (TRS), channels 5 - 8 off the front (phantom power off), and plug your mics into 1 & 2 with phantom on.

Just get a couple external phantom units and use those for the two mics. That way, you can turn off all the phantom on the tascam.

There might be a phantom power blocker that you could buy as well that would protect the mixer.

Hey Farview, thanks for the tip.
I have a tube pre-amp with phantom, but it's only for one channel.
However, I also have a Behringer D.I. that has 2 channels and is active (either with phantom or with batteries), and since my mixer's direct outs are unbalanced, maybe I could plug two other channels to the D.I., and then plug those through regular XLR, even with phantom :)
That should work... theoreticly...
Thanks a lot.

Yep that is the way to go. I thought you were needing to use all 10 inputs on the Tascam. Just run the direct outs from the mixer through to the line inputs on channels 9/10 on the Tascam, leaving two of your mic channels empty that use phantom power.

Back