send vs insert

Stark444

can someone please explain to me the difference between insert effects and send effects? im not comprehending anything im finding at the moment.

Think of an insert as something you'd want to *DO* to a signal (such as compress it or change it's tone) and a send (a.k.a. 'aux') as something you'd want to *ADD* to a signal (such as reverb/echo/flange/chorus/etc.).

The basic difference is this.

There are some effects that are modifiers of the original sound, and others that are additives to the original sound.

In the case of the first, you apply the effect, and use the results of the applied effect in total. Such things include, say, compression, EQ, pitch correction and so on. These are effects that you use as inserts. You are replacing the original sound with a modified sound.

In the case of the second, you apply the effect and add it to the original sound, keeping both. Typical examples are reverb and delay, where you retain the original un-effected sound and add reverb to taste. These are effects that you use as sends.

Another way to visualize it might be to think of a send as a new, separate track. With an insert, the effect you apply is coming through the track you applied it to, so if you turn up the gain or pan the track all the way to the left, the effect is going to respond in kind. This is why you want to use "replacement" effects like compression as inserts. You want your insert to take the place of the original sound on the track. With a send, you are literally sending the signal from one track to another. The original stays where it is, and responds as normal to panning, gain adjustments, etc... However, that sound is also now being fed through some effect (like reverb) in another track which can be panned or gain adjusted completely independently from the original track.
This situation I just described is a pre-fader send. If you've been messing around with sends in your DAW, you've probably seen some option for pre vs. post or something along those lines, and that's what it means. If you want the sent signal completely disconnected from the original, makes sure it's pre-fader.
One more thing to keep in mind to help you visualize it:
A lot of vst (or AU or whatever) effects have a mix knob or slider or two, where you can decide how much dry (unaffected) versus wet signal you want. Generally, if you are using an effect as an insert and you want to replace (like with a compressor), you would want a completely wet signal. However, if you are using an effect to change instead of replace (like reverb) and you are using it as an insert, you'd want mostly dry signal, and then you'd dial in the wet. However, any time you use an effect as a send, start off with it 100% wet. Then use your gain and pan sliders to position it around the original unaffected signal.

My simple mind works like this

Insert: the effect is INSERTED on the individual track
Send: the effect is on a separate bus and the output or a portion of the output from the track or collection of tracks (if the same effect is needed on more than one track) is SENT to that bus

I like to keep it simple or I get confused

Bristol, you nailed it on the head. I like to keep it simple as well, but I'm unable.

As a result, I'm constantly confused.:D

My simple mind works like this

Insert: the effect is INSERTED on the individual track
Send: the effect is on a separate bus and the output or a portion of the output from the track or collection of tracks (if the same effect is needed on more than one track) is SENT to that bus

I like to keep it simple or I get confused

Just to clarify - if I apply inserts to empty tracks to which I will be recording, do the effects become part of the recorded track?

Just to clarify - if I apply inserts to empty tracks to which I will be recording, do the effects become part of the recorded track?

No. If you want an effect hard printed, it has to be in the chain before the insert send.
If you DI a bass into a desk/interface and then send -> compressor -> insert, then you will hear the compressor but it won't be printed onto the sound.
If you DI a bass into a compressor and then go into your desk/interface/amp, then it will become a part of the signal that is recorded.

That depends on the software and how you set it up. I know on some it's possible for inserted effects to be recorded if desired. But I think most software defaults to not recording inserted effects. What does your DAW's manual say?

can someone please explain to me the difference between insert effects and send effects? im not comprehending anything im finding at the moment.

When you're inserting a plugin most plugins have a wet/dry ratio.

So if you add a reverb as an insert , you're going to play with the dry/wet ratio to get the sound you're looking for.

But what if you want to add the exact same reverb to 10 tracks? You've got to copy-paste the same plugins 10 times.

As a result your CPU is going to explode.

An another drawback of adding a reverb (or delay or anything) as an insert is that you won't be able to EQ/Compress that reverb, and that reverb alone without
altering the sound of the source

So usually it goes like this:

Processors like EQs and Compressors -> Inserts
Time based effecsts (delays, reverbs, chorus) -> Sends

A simple way to look at it (and sorry if it has been mentioned) is like this;

You INSERT something on one channel, You can SEND something to many places.

serial vs parallel???

Generally found on guitar and other instrument amplifiers. With a series FX loop the original signal is lost (tho' there is often some wet/dry balance on the FX box)

Parallel sends a proportion, usually adjustable, of the original to the effect and that returns a mix of the two. Series can always be made into pllel with an additional pot in a tin but not v.v.

Historically it seems FX loops of many amplifiers left a lot to be desired? Generally it seems they were implemented at the wrong point in the circuit.

Dave.

Back