Semi-Portable Digital Recorder Advice needed

88fingers

Hullo,
I'm looking to get some sort of semi-portable (or fully portable) digital recorder that I can record my band's rehearsals in pretty good quality, and then just connect up to a computer and upload wav files. What do you guys think of the little 2-mic stereo recorders (like these)? Had any experience with them? Do they pick up sound well? Is there any mixing capabilities (even minor) built into any of them?

What about other options, where I could plug in maybe 4 mics and get 4 tracks, that I could then upload to my computer and do mixing (if necessary) on my DAW? I've just never really looked at these things before, and am not very sure where to look and what to look for.

Thanks

Plenty of cheap 2-track options. They all sound decent enough to record rehersals I'm sure.

As you pay more, you get better preamps, on-board mics, and (possibly) better DA conversion. The on-board mics can be cheap, and the fixed position (usually XY) make it so getting a good recording depends on placing the unit in the right spot.

I have a couple of Edirol R44's, which are 4-tracks each and the two units can be connected for 8 tracks. I dump those into the PC for mixing. Works well, but R44's are about $900 each (and the internal mics still blow). Don't know your budget.

I don't have the Zoom H2, (used to have the H4 though), but I like the concept. I'd start there if I did not have what I have already. If you want to close mic stuff and mix down more tracks, there are many more options closer to $1k, then you have more money to sink into mics, cables, etc. Easy to spend a few thousand bucks when you go that route. Not to mention the learning process.

Using a simple device like the H2 and carefully setting up around it to get the right balance will probably give you better results - at least until you really learn how to close-mic everything and mix really well. So it all depends on your budget and how much time you want to spend figuring it all out.

You might want to look into the Mackie Onyx-i series mixers.

They make several models, 8 channel, 12, 16, etc., and all have a FireWire interface. The new Onyx-i lets you decide if each channel gets sent to the CPU pre or post EQ, and let's you route aux sends out via FireWire.

I've had an Onyx 1640 for about 4 years and absolutely love it. I use it with bands that I play with and when I'm doing sound for other bands, not to mention my home studio. Recordings always come out very clean, and the mixer has the durability to stay on the road.

Of course, if you're looking for cheaper options, as mentioned earlier, Zoom makes some great, inexpensive gear.

Good luck!

The Tascam DP-02CF is a solid little 2 channel/8 track recorder. The pre-amps are a little weak, but it just flat out works. I haven't used the Zoom products so I can't really say much about those.

Back