selling my oktavas and some goodies on ebay

1 mic is 100 the other is 80. 25 for the shockmount. 20 for the pop filter, 40 dollars worth of cables. and the ups store is mad expensive, i know cause i work there.

Big Kenny said:
Wow only $250 for an $80 mic, bargain!!!!

Yeah I agree, that's seams a little high!

100+80+25+20+40=$265

so that's $265 worth of USED gear, and the starting bid is set at $250? If you add on the $30 shipping that brings the grand total to $280. Hell, I could walk into GC and buy the same stuff NEW for less! Seems a little steep to me.

On top of that, the seller has no feedback in the last 6 months. Sorry tigerotool, but I think your going to have a hard time selling your stuff at those prices. I know the mics are barely used and you are trying to recoup the money you spent on them, but used is used and most people would probably rather buy them new from an authorized dealer if they were going to spend tht kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

the point is to break even or make a profit. that's how much i paid for it i got the receipt in front of me.

i've never sold anything on ebay before but i'm pretty sure i know how to use ebay and i definately know how to pack and ship. i worked for ups for 2 years loading and unloading the trucks (quit last year due to injury) and i've worked at a ups store for over a year (still work there). it'll take a half hour for the recipient to unpack the box. :D even though i work there it'll still cost 15 to pack and no more than 15 to ship depending on where its going.

I agree that the items are overpriced. I won't buy from ebay unless it's a spectacular deal, considering the big box stores now offer free shipping and have extensive b-stock and refurb items.

You just can't expect to "break even" on something you bought new because of the hassles and uncertainty associated with ebay. I purchased a summit audio preamp earlier this year and later decided I didn't want it...didn't even remove the unit from the plastic bag! However, I took a hundred dollar hit on it just because I don't offer a warranty, free shipping, etc.

Also, regardless of how well you pack or the fact that you worked at UPS (a buddy of mine works there unloading trucks and he says employees just manhandle packages), feedback ratings are king. I hesitate to buy from someone with under 30, and even then it must be 100% positive.

Also, you are using stock photos on technically "used" items....not really a confidence booster.

I would expect to get $200 at the most from that stuff.

tigerotool said:
the point is to break even or make a profit. that's how much i paid for it i got the receipt in front of me.

i've never sold anything on ebay before but i'm pretty sure i know how to use ebay and i definately know how to pack and ship.

Sorry to break it to you, but that's not the point when it comes to ebay. The only time you can really make a profit on ebay is when you guy something at well below the used value (whether it was new or used to start with), and then sell it at the going rate. There's no way you're going to be able to sell those used at that kind of price.

I wish you the best of luck with your sale. I'll just walk into my local GC and grab 2 319's w/ shockmounts and cables for $100 a piece.

As for expensive shipping, I had a mic shipped to me in about 50 miles of bubble wrap for $10.00 from NY off of E-Bay. $30 bucks?!? Thanks anyways.

This isn't meant as a slam. Just that your prices don't make any sense to a half educated consumer.

if i pack it, it will not break no matter what. guaranteed fully insured. online stores may offer free shipping but they have special contracts with ups and you can't buy oktavas anywhere except the soundroom and guitar center. maybe i can lower it to 200 if no one bids but i'm holding out right now.

a lot of ignorant people underestimate how much it cost to pack and ship. the other day i had a customer bring in a tv that he sold on ebay. the ebay shipping calculator said he should charge 60 bucks for packing and shipping. his total was actually over 200 dollars

Man, you should talk to those ignorant people at www.UPS.com. They just quoted me $8.10 to ship the same package that you said would cost $30.00 Amazing.

Ship From: MADISON, NEW JERSEY, 07940, UNITED STATES
Ship To: HOUSTON, TEXAS, 77059, UNITED STATES
Shipment Date: Wednesday, September 1, 2004
Bill to UPS Account: No
Total Shipment Weight: 7 lbs.
Drop-off / Pickup: Daily Pickup - I have a daily UPS pickup
Address Type: Commercial
Number of Packages: 1
Packaging: Your Packaging
Customs Value: Not Entered
Currency: USD

UPS Ground - zone 6 Guaranteed by: By End of Day Wednesday September 8, 2004
Charges Per Package 8.10

However. Please don't get defensive. I'd really like to just help you with the sale. I work e-bay alot, and know what will and won't sell. I think me along with the other folks are just trying to tell you your setting your sites high.

You may end up getting bids, who knows. I do know you have a couple things working against you:

No transactions on eBay for nearly a year, a VERY low feedback rating, your using stock photos of the mics and not actual photos of YOURS, and it's not going to cost $20 to ship all that stuff.

Saying that you're going to pack professionally should be EXPECTED not a reason to charge more for shipping and the actual cost of the merchandise. I don't have mega feeback on eBay (44), but I've done enough on there to know what works, and what doesn't. Maybe you'll get lucky and all will work well for you. You should attempt to listen to those offering advise - this place is full of people who actually know what they're talking about (and perhaps a few that don't :eek: )

Good Luck,

Warren

i lowered it to $20. and unless the package is arriving on the doorstep of where you work then it would be residential not commercial. residential costs more money. you're forgetting the box, peanuts, bubble wrap, tape and labor for having the honor a ups veteran like myself to pack the damn stuff. that's not cheap like you're showing yourself to be. the cost of packing has nothing to do with the cost of shipping and neither does the cost of the stuff. the cost of packing may cost more than the cost of shipping.

it's now 200 for the stuff. 10 for shipping. i'll pack it when my boss is in the bathroom.

this is like anti-ebay i keep going lower but this is as low and i'll go.

Back