Self recording question

kobra

If anyone could help me, I'm trying to record by myself so I can give finished songs to the rest of my band. My equipment is as follows:
Tascam MKII 424
Digitech RP100 Guitar processor (as well as guitar and bass amps)
Kawai R-50e drum machine
Any tips on how I can do all parts by myself.
Thanks

1)Go to the store and get beer.
2)Install beer into the fridge.
3)Have beer
4)Program and record drum machine
5)Have beer
6)Play Guitar to drum track while recording on another track
7)Have beer
8)Play Bass to guitar and drum tracks while recording on another track
9)Have beer
10)Sing vocal to other tracks while recording on the remaining track
11)Have beer
12)If more than 4 tracks are required skip step 10 and bounce the initial tracks on to the remaining track before proceeding. This will open up 3 new tracks and the process can be repeated. It is however very important to repeat either step 3, 5, 7, 9, or 11 between each additional track.
13)Finally, mix all recorded tracks to a "final mix" on the medium of your choice (cassette, cd, dat, etc.)*

*Warning! Step 13 should not be performed immediately following steps 1-12. The resultant mix may be unsuitable for most human ears. Tascam recommends a waiting period of at least 24 hrs, several asprin, and a bloody mary.

Yo Kobra:

So as you don't get all hissed off following the sageous steps of Monte, remember: if you bounce tracks, you will lose control of tweaking each track. You can tweak the bounced stuff but three different instruments do not usually need the "same" tweaks.

That's why an 8 tracker or more is so much easier to work with. But, do what you need to do.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :cool:

No offense to Monte but for mixing I would recomend bong hits over beer. Just be carefull you dont overuse the flanger.

..and if bonghits do not suffice, I recommend this straineous modification to Monte's tidbits of knowledge:

-attach common mechanics funnel to three linear feet of 3/4" dia. rubber hose.
-funnel should hold at least 16 fluid ounces with plenty of extra room for shakyness that occurs during overindulgence.
-if possible, a clear rubber hose is preffered to be sure what you poor into this contraption is what you originally intended.
-Empty contents of one container of your favorite alcoholic beverage into funnel end of contraption, while holding thumb firmly at hose end.
-hold funnel end high in the air, and pronounce to yourself ..."I am a golden god!". ......release pressure from hose end, and empty entire funnel contents directly into small intestine.
-.......after the mandatory 3 minute belch session, refer to TexRoadKill for further instructions......................

Okay, okay, ha ha, but this fella here asked an actual question...

This is just the most basic approach:
I would start by planning and recording your drum track on track 1. then I would layer bass on track 2, guitar on track 3. Then set the relative levels of all three and bounce them down to track 4.

Then, I would do vocals on 1 and harmony on 2. You have one track left (3) to add a lead guitar part.

Then, hook up the outs from your 4-track to a stereo and record your master!

Obviously there are other ways to do this, but this is a start.

Fab

MONTE said:

13)Finally, mix all recorded tracks to a "final mix" on the medium of your choice (cassette, cd, dat, etc.)*

*Warning! Step 13 should not be performed immediately following steps 1-12. The resultant mix may be unsuitable for most human ears. Tascam recommends a waiting period of at least 24 hrs, several asprin, and a bloody mary.

I forgot the BLOODY MARY!!!!! Thats why my mixes suck!

The Green Hornet said:
Yo Kobra:

if you bounce tracks, you will lose control of tweaking each track. You can tweak the bounced stuff but three different instruments do not usually need the "same" tweaks.
Green Hornet:D :p :p :cool:

If you are going to tweak tracks 1, 2 & 3, shouldn't you do that before you bounce them?

YO MorningSTar of NY: [early edition]

I suppose you could tweak EQ the tracks and bounce them; however, you wouldn't be able to do any track panning of the tracks bounced. Also, I'm don't think bouncing is the best way to go to get the best results. Once you tweak and bounce, that's it for those tracks -- no more adjustments except volume and panning. Would you really want the bass, guitar, and drums all coming from center? left? right? middle?

Green Hornet:D :cool: :rolleyes: :p

YO Green Hornet! Morningstar of NY [early edition]
I like it :) I agree with you. I'd much rather have an 8 track recorder and maintain control over each track. Bouncing is just an alternative for those of us with only 4 tracks. I would want to bounce similar tracks for panning purposes though, e.g. bass, drums and a lead vocal all being panned center is not a bad idea depending on the song. It could be where they'd end up anyhow. I guess to sum it up (without clipping :)), I'd say bouncing tracks is not a bad idea with the right techniques applied.

A very very general and vague thing to try to keep in mind--as you bounce and do sub-mixdowns, remember that these are only sub-mixdowns. It is very easy to lose the bass & drums because you were using finishing ears on an unfinished product. Oh---and keep the drum track simple. You gotta be a real good programmer to make a complex drum machine track sound like it's not a machine. A simple track is less distracting and usually more effective. Also takes less time so that you can get down to the tracks you really want to be working on.

--Jon

With a four-track, I used to record drums on one track and bass on another. Then I'd bounce those two together (bouncing more than 2 is very hard to mix well, IMHO). That leaves me with three open tracks... I record guitar on one (to pan left), another guitar on another (to pan right) and then vox on the last channel (and sometimes axe leads that don't coincide with the vox).

Modify this plan if your instrumentation is different. But definitely include the beer and bong hits (you'll be hearing this song a billion times before it's mixed...) :)

Back