Seems like an anal question

slinkymassive

Just purchased a Tascam us-122 and Studio projects B1 mic. On a fairly low budget!

I am looking now to invest in some headphones and cabling. Are is there any factor I should take into consideration before I buy. Could a poor set of earphones cause background noise on the recordings? Does cheap cable effect the quality.

Thanks

Look for good closed-back headphones for tracking purposes. Open-back cans and those that don't make a tight seal around your ears will allow sound to bleed into your recordings. Good sound quality (neutral/flat sounding phones) are important because you'll use them to help you place the microphone for tracking. If you can't hear the true sound that the mic is picking up, you won't know what you're recording. I like the Audio Technica ATH-M30 and ATH-M40fs for tracking phones. Both are under $75.

As for cables, yes, everything that passes audio signal can affect it in some way. There are great debates over the qualities of various cables. Your main concern at this point should be durability, though. Get some decent cables with ends that can be opened if anthing needs to be resoldered (avoid molded plastic ends that cannot be repaired). Many cable companies offer lifetime warranties, so look for that as well.

Yes, yes. Much wisdom in the post above. You don't know if your stuff is sounding good or not if you can't hear it. This was something that I undervalued until I got a good set of cans....

Back