seeking step by step drum recording help

murphmusik

Hello,

I am a Drumcore (Submersible Music) user, but want to learn to record live drums. I have no idea how to record so that each drum is routed to a seperate track in my DAW.

My gear:
Mackie 4 channel mixer to M-Audio 1814 interface to Sonar 7 producer.

I have read that since I have the 1814, I don't need the mixer for mic'ing drums. (????)

Any help at all will be appreciated, as I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks!

From a quick look at the 1814, it looks like they're right.
You could keep your setup simple with a 4 mic technique (google or do a search for Recorderman or Glyn Johns) with a mic on snare, kick and 2 overheads.

Your overhead mic placement is fairly critical so when ya search those two methods, pay attention to the OH measurements.

Start with that and see how far it gets ya.

oh...and for getting each drum to its own track, just keep adding mics to inputs as you'll see in your search for the two methods.

I'd still start with the 4 mic setup tho. It's entirely possible that you'll start running into phase issues without the right mic placement. So start with the simple, time proven way to get a good drum sound and go from there. Add your close mics as you see the need/want.

When I dial in my drums, I always start with the overheads. Get those right. They're important to how the rest of the kit will sound as a whole. You'll also see that in your search. Your OH's are the kit...the close mics (snare, kick, toms) give you the oomph, depth and clarity.

BTW...your room and it's acoustical qualities are going to make a difference on how your drums come out.

all imo...;)

Back