Seeking recording rig advice

1Way

I have a Shure sm58 mic, but I do not have a mixer or PC interface besides my ATI All In Wonder multi-media video card, but that is more of a VCR type interface (Vid,Lft,Rt phono jacks). I have a WinXP machine, plenty of ram and hard drive space, plus USB2 and firewire.

I’m shooting video’s of my guitar playing on a cheapy JVC DV camcorder, but I don’t like the sound from the internal mic, and it has no external mic jack.

I’d like to use my PC for recording if possible, and I am of limited funds.

I’d like recommendations for how to best record audio. I’m interested in the $300 PreSonis firebox, but I want ("need" really) to spend less than that. I appreciate helpful suggestions/tips. Another idea is a podcast mic I saw at MF which is run by batteries and can plug into any jack and work without phantom power. $100 for large condesor mic. (<- It's just a thought)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Well if you are only going to need 1 or 2 Mic inputs then you might look into something like the "M-Audio Mobile Pre USB" which is a One or two channel USB Pre amp that will allow you to Record from a Mic or Line level source to your PC and is only about $120 or so.....

cheers

Yes, for now I'm happy with 2 mic inputs and it would be nice to also allow line in etc. Aside from the included software programs, how does the hardware stack up to say the firewire one I mentioned? Are there latency issues or simultaneous monitor & record issues? How is the recording quality going that route? (24/96 or?)

I believe I've heard that complaint with some MAudio stuff...

Well of cource the Firewire one is going to be a Lot better but you wanted something a Lot cheaper so I suggested the M-audio One....

Wow, however obvious!

The $300 firewire product is,,, "alot better",,, than the USB one that is almost 1/3 the price.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
:)
I’d like recommendations for how to best record audio. I’m interested in the $300 PreSonis firebox, but I want ("need" really) to spend less than that. I appreciate helpful suggestions/tips. Another idea is a podcast mic I saw at MF which is run by batteries and can plug into any jack and work without phantom power. $100 for large condesor mic. (<- It's just a thought)
Thanks!

Here's a link to a $200 dollar M-audio PCI interface card that looks interesting. Don't know how clean it is or how good the mic pres are...

M-Audio Delta 1010 LT PCI Digital Audio System With 10 in/10 out 24-bit, 96kHz audio card with mic preamps, digital I/O, and MIDI I/O. I like that it has mic pres and zero-latency hardware monitoring...

I know they make different units priced below $300. I'd like some assistance with tips and suggestions over what to look for or what to avoid for example.

Last edited:
The Delta 1010LT is a Great Card accept that it only has 2 Preamps so you will need some seperate Pre-amps Via and Mixer or seperate Pre channels to utilize all of the Inputs for use with Mics....

It is still a Great Card and has enough inputs to keep you occupied for a while....

Cheers

PS: if you ever want to upgrade the 1010LT you can allways simply add another Delta Card as Delta cards play well together....

Back