(Seeking advise)Monitor setup for under $500

Voxpopuli

I just cant make my mind up..
I work with samplers, keys, and drum machines. My work is more along the lines of Hip Hop, and Industrial.

Im looking for a monitor/amp setup for under $500
Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Dave

I would recommend skipping the amp and just go with powered (active) monitors. This way you don't have to worry about the ohm rating of the amp. A good set of inexpensive active monitors that will fit into your budget is Yamaha MSP5 at www.americanmusical.com. The good thing about this store is if you charge $250 to $999 you can split it into three payments, $999.99+ you split it into five payments. I love this set up.

ditto on the MSP5, that's what I have.... serves me well. :)
of course this is strictly for a $500 budget only....

Cool,
I like the idea of powered monitors (no need for extra rack space). Being able to split my payments would also be a +

The MSP5s are overgrown computer speakers. They have scooped low mids, nonexistant bass and a hyped top end. They also have lousy imaging. In the $500 price range I would go with event. They are the easiest to learn, they typically all have a hyped (or very clear) midrange, very nice imaging and good separation all around. Some have more bass than others but they all translate fairly well. The 20/20s are very nice. Particularly the 20/20 bas, although they are a little over $500. I happen to have a pair of event PS5s that Im selling. Email me if youre interested.

Back