second song done big improvement

Highway Star is kind of a hard song to cover without a Hammond....or something that would sound like a Hammond. The entire mix seems to have a lot of high end and no bottom. Your site says there's a bass player. It was tough to hear any bass at all.Without that Hammond and some low-mids on the chung chung chung guitar you're gonna need the bass. Good stereo seperation. The vocals sounded kind of "fast and loose" (compared to the original).

I'm sad to say I've never heard the original, so I can't compare that way.

The bottom is definitely lacking, but I like the guitar sound and think it would sound even better with more of the bass guitar in the mix to balance it out better. The only time I heard the bass player (i think) was what appeared to be a bass solo. I'm guessing it was a bass solo, cause it sounded more like a solo on a low tuned guitar since the overall track is lacking low end. I'd like to hear some of your original stuff, as I can hear potential in the playing on every instrument.

Hey Guys Thanks for the reveiw.
Bass was the only thing I didn't use a micpre on.
He plays a six string and goes for that mid range distored sound. And with out the pre I didn't get the full sound but it was just a cover and he didn't want to go back to re-record.
Next time were starting on originals . So I'm hoping I'll get total thumbs up next time.

I'm a major Deep Purple fan, so had to check it out. Taking on some top players here, Ian Paice, amazing is an understatment, and the rest of the band... Gillan and Blackmore, look out. That said, I think you got the overall gist of the song, but it could use some refinement. Without the hammond it's difficult to get the total sound, but working around it with guitars is interesting. Bottom end is bit lacking as others said. The drop pitch on the whole song confused me a bit, had to put in the original to confirm.

All in all, a blast of song to cover.

Back