Season’s Greetings & Happy New Year

Your avatar…58, 58-NB or 58-OB?
My well-maintained 58-OB - My entire chain is analog, except for the converters clearly.

I have the wireless remote, though I am not a fan! I would love a classic analog remote. And my track 5 input XLR has a broken tab. It works; there is enough tab there to push and release the XLR input cable, but I would like to replace it.

Last edited:
My well-maintained 58-OB - My entire chain is analog, except for the converters clearly.

I have the wireless remote, though I am not a fan! I would love a classic analog remote. And my track 5 input XLR has a broken tab. It works; there is enough tab there to push and release the XLR input cable, but I would like to replace it.
Those style jacks…the locking tab itself is removable/replaceable.

Those style jacks…the locking tab itself is removable/replaceable.
Sweetbeats, that is what I was referring to. It's an immediate New Year's reso 🙏. My space is a hodge-podge right now. It's been out of order for 3 weeks- I have these new racks (very low) and much less rack space, and I'm still working out how to manage it, what gear stays, and what is put in storage, and where to place/mount gear differently. I have a roomful of gear without a home right now. I have new reels of tape coming tomorrow; I need to get this space in order. Here is a shot tonight... I want to get the 58 off the rack and into it's own.

My hodge-podge kicks your hodge-podge’s ass…you’ve got some nice gear there and a nice room.

Yep. That little tab sticking out of your XLR jack…the part is removable. Get another same type jack used on eBay, remove and replace the locking tab on yours without needing to resolder anything.

Belated Happy New Year to you too! Thank you for this community and for your knowledge and willingness to share it – My past few years embarking on an analog set up with my M-520 and MS-16 have been SOOO MUCH better because of you and and many others here.
Happy new year to you all! Let's hope this one is great!

Sweetbeats, that is what I was referring to. It's an immediate New Year's reso 🙏. My space is a hodge-podge right now. It's been out of order for 3 weeks- I have these new racks (very low) and much less rack space, and I'm still working out how to manage it, what gear stays, and what is put in storage, and where to place/mount gear differently. I have a roomful of gear without a home right now. I have new reels of tape coming tomorrow; I need to get this space in order. Here is a shot tonight... I want to get the 58 off the rack and into it's own.
Here’s what I humbly mean by my hodge-podge beats yours…my hallway of hodge-podge. Yours has been out of order for three weeks. Mine, for a variety of significant reasons, has not been IN order for many years. I’m finally into a relatively usable space this last year, albeit still a bit of a challenging space…barely 8’ wide…but the ceiling is vaulted, and it’s the best space I’ve had for over a decade…first time I’ve had a space with all the gear cohabitating in that time, so I can finally work on setting things up. Some months ago, after some renovations, I got everything placed. Then determined, after some more months, it was completely dysfunctional…rearranged everything. So I’m back at square one, but the major components are placed where I want them, and I’m in process of moving things around in racks, and then can begin building all the snakes and wiring up the pathways. Discretionary time to work on all this is very limited. At any rate, here’s hodge-hodge hallway:

IMG_0359.jpeg

Out of view to the rear is the workbench and day-job office workstation.

Here’s what I humbly mean by my hodge-podge beats yours…my hallway of hodge-podge. Yours has been out of order for three weeks. Mine, for a variety of significant reasons, has not been IN order for many years. I’m finally into a relatively usable space this last year, albeit still a bit of a challenging space…barely 8’ wide…but the ceiling is vaulted, and it’s the best space I’ve had for over a decade…first time I’ve had a space with all the gear cohabitating in that time, so I can finally work on setting things up. Some months ago, after some renovations, I got everything placed. Then determined, after some more months, it was completely dysfunctional…rearranged everything. So I’m back at square one, but the major components are placed where I want them, and I’m in process of moving things around in racks, and then can begin building all the snakes and wiring up the pathways. Discretionary time to work on all this is very limited. At any rate, here’s hodge-hodge hallway:

View attachment 135596

Out of view to the rear is the workbench and day-job office workstation.

The chaos before the order!! Looks promising, and it has a cool vibe! I can see this being a great space.
But hands down...that is next-level hodge-podge! My OCD brain is like... 🫣 But it's inspiring in its own way.

Been there, brother, recently! Couldnt tell if I was moving in or out.. This, too, by design, is my smallest space yet. That is why I have been attempting to go smaller. I have storage for pro audio gear and the entire room next door for guitars, basses, and amps that I gig out of. Besides, I have seen a few of your videos, Sweetbeats; I can't imagine how anybody can keep so many parts, 'in progress projects, ' etc., and actually execute results without some chaos! Goes with the gig.

Old gear is substantial and takes up a lot of space. I hope your purging and organizing goes well, wishing you an orderly 2024!
Hey, if you come up with a working DA-30 in that unboxing, let me know 😁

@58andCounting Nice set up! From one analog set up to another, good work and keep it going!
View attachment 135593

Thank you!

Nice setup Ace! Nowhere today, except maybe next to a 1" with an older analog desk can I see a sonic maximizer or exciter in a rack and think, 'ok that makes sense!😬
Something about the room takes me back to the late 90s, early 2000s. Did you make that desk? Or paint it? Looks great.

The chaos before the order!! Looks promising, and it has a cool vibe! I can see this being a great space.
But hands down...that is next-level hodge-podge! My OCD brain is like... 🫣 But it's inspiring in its own way.

Been there, brother, recently! Couldnt tell if I was moving in or out.. This, too, by design, is my smallest space yet. That is why I have been attempting to go smaller. I have storage for pro audio gear and the entire room next door for guitars, basses, and amps that I gig out of. Besides, I have seen a few of your videos, Sweetbeats; I can't imagine how anybody can keep so many parts, 'in progress projects, ' etc., and actually execute results without some chaos! Goes with the gig.

Old gear is substantial and takes up a lot of space. I hope your purging and organizing goes well, wishing you an orderly 2024!
Hey, if you come up with a working DA-30 in that unboxing, let me know 😁
Thanks! :D

And yes there’s a minty DA-30 already in the rack. And it stays. :) Got it from a good friend in trade. I have a lot of DATs of gigs from earlier years as well as other events…my brother used to have a Sony TCD-7 and I’d either capture the room with a pair mics direct to tape or off the console. But that’s one of the things that needs to move…in the foreground to the right is what is now dubbed the “machine rack”…the one with the 3M halftrack currently mounted at the top of the rack. What you see below that is six power supplies for the Studer desk, three spare and three active. The spare supplies need to come out and move to accessible storage, and the active supplies need to move into a new rack to be placed under the desk along with dedicated power distribution/staging and the crossover. That rack is currently being cleaned up and can be seen on the floor center foreground. Then what goes into place in the machine rack once the Studer supplies come out is a troop of Tascam machines, the DA-30, CD-RW2000, 122-B, 238, and maybe one of my Roland VSR-880 HDRs…but I’m not sure about that last one…will probably mount that closer to the desk. And then the space opened up by moving the machines can get occupied by the patchbays…after I modify the ground scheme of those…then I can start punching down cable. At least there is a plan, right?? lol. The general plan has been patiently, or sometimes not so patiently plopped in my brain but, again, this is the first time since 2013ish I’ve had a space where everything fits AND I can manipulate racks and equipment as needed to manage connections, etc. And the last decade has just been…a mix of very wonderful and arduous life events and changes, and always very full. Moving four times didn’t help with a setup this large…plus, yes, lots of projects and various repairs and explorations both for myself and others, many which remain ongoing…I had a room that was large enough at one place, but the big Ampex 2” machine physically couldn’t fit down the hall. And I was still so in flux with what I wanted to do as far as a mixing center, and in the midst of that found and acquired the Studer desk, but then we moved. You see in the pic the Studer and Ampex are finally joined in one relatively functional space, albeit on the second floor. Yes. That was exciting…getting the Ampex and Studer up the stairs. Anyway, I can finally start settling the whole system instead of working with only facets of it, and pick up on the Ampex restoration where I left of a decade or so ago. We plan on staying here for awhile. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you!

Nice setup Ace! Nowhere today, except maybe next to a 1" with an older analog desk can I see a sonic maximizer or exciter in a rack and think, 'ok that makes sense!😬
Something about the room takes me back to the late 90s, early 2000s. Did you make that desk? Or paint it? Looks great.
I had a guy in Oklahoma build me the desk our of 3/4" pine ply, I painted and did the formica desktops, stained and poly'd the end caps (which no one really sees). He made it custom for my M-520 with plenty of rack space and storage. It works great, and I love having the full length padded arm rest.
I know the BBE Sonic Maximizer gets a lot of debate. I almost sold it but then found that it really brightens up the music from my imac and then I also use it for mastering from two track as well. We used to use this in the studio I worked in 1992-95, helped keep the mix from being too muddy, I like it, don't care what others say.
I made the patch cord rack as well.
IMG_7491.JPG

I had a guy in Oklahoma build me the desk our of 3/4" pine ply, I painted and did the formica desktops, stained and poly'd the end caps (which no one really sees). He made it custom for my M-520 with plenty of rack space and storage. It works great, and I love having the full length padded arm rest.
I know the BBE Sonic Maximizer gets a lot of debate. I almost sold it but then found that it really brightens up the music from my imac and then I also use it for mastering from two track as well. We used to use this in the studio I worked in 1992-95, helped keep the mix from being too muddy, I like it, don't care what others say.
I made the patch cord rack as well.
View attachment 135605

Nice, you did a great job man! Looks like a killer space to stay creative!

Thanks! :D

And yes there’s a minty DA-30 already in the rack. And it stays. :) Got it from a good friend in trade. I have a lot of DATs of gigs from earlier years as well as other events…my brother used to have a Sony TCD-7 and I’d either capture the room with a pair mics direct to tape or off the console. But that’s one of the things that needs to move…in the foreground to the right is what is now dubbed the “machine rack”…the one with the 3M halftrack currently mounted at the top of the rack. What you see below that is six power supplies for the Studer desk, three spare and three active. The spare supplies need to come out and move to accessible storage, and the active supplies need to move into a new rack to be placed under the desk along with dedicated power distribution/staging and the crossover. That rack is currently being cleaned up and can be seen on the floor center foreground. Then what goes into place in the machine rack once the Studer supplies come out is a troop of Tascam machines, the DA-30, CD-RW2000, 122-B, 238, and maybe one of my Roland VSR-880 HDRs…but I’m not sure about that last one…will probably mount that closer to the desk. And then the space opened up by moving the machines can get occupied by the patchbays…after I modify the ground scheme of those…then I can start punching down cable. At least there is a plan, right?? lol. The general plan has been patiently, or sometimes not so patiently plopped in my brain but, again, this is the first time since 2013ish I’ve had a space where everything fits AND I can manipulate racks and equipment as needed to manage connections, etc. And the last decade has just been…a mix of very wonderful and arduous life events and changes, and always very full. Moving four times didn’t help with a setup this large…plus, yes, lots of projects and various repairs and explorations both for myself and others, many which remain ongoing…I had a room that was large enough at one place, but the big Ampex 2” machine physically couldn’t fit down the hall. And I was still so in flux with what I wanted to do as far as a mixing center, and in the midst of that found and acquired the Studer desk, but then we moved. You see in the pic the Studer and Ampex are finally joined in one relatively functional space, albeit on the second floor. Yes. That was exciting…getting the Ampex and Studer up the stairs. Anyway, I can finally start settling the whole system instead of working with only facets of it, and pick up on the Ampex restoration where I left of a decade or so ago. We plan on staying here for awhile. ;)

LOL, yes plans are good!! And it was tongue and cheek on the DA30. I have a killer unit that usually sits next to the 122MKII, but I am always afraid in the back of my mind it's going to go toast on me! But Sweetbeats, what I genuinely could use is a knob for the phones pot on my 122MKII (has a 'D' shaped shaft. I have one on there, but it is chewed up a bit! Can you confirm this is the right knob? From a different machine but the same lineage.

Anyway, all the best on the studio rebuild!

Back