Searching for the option in SX

Alejo

Hello to all,

Last night I discovered the options "time streching" and "calculate hitpoints". Heaven was wide open for me. I am sure most of you can give me a master lesson in this issue, bur my question is simpler. Since SX can change the tempo without affecting the pitch and since SX calculate your hitpoints, can SX make an audio track follow the rithm, in case the rithm is slightly out?

In another words, I would like to correct few parts of a guitar solo which are a little out of rithm. Is there such a possibility?

I would need only the name of the option. After that I will stick my nose on the manual, as usual.

Thanks!,

Alejo.

I had a friend ask me once to mix some tracks he recorded. The problem I encountered was the way he tracked them. He recorded the tracks consecutively(one after the other on a single track) instead of side by side using all 4 tracks on the tape. The problem this caused was a timing issue because the beginning of the tape ran a little slower than the end of the tape. So when I rebuilt the tracks in digital they all started out together but midway through the song they would all go out of sync because of his cheap tracking equipment and method.

This gave me a great lesson in manual editing, lining up beats and passages to get the 4 tracks back into timing. I couldn't find a tool to do this for me and all I can tell you is it took forever and never again.

So to answer your question, yes you can correct a few parts of a guitar solo which are a little out of rhythm but limit yourself. If it too much retracking is a better option. IMHO

FYI- I used wavelab to edit and line up the tracks.

Thanks for your answer NYMorningstar. the thing you did is impressive, and I am afraid don't have your abilities. And for sure no patience enough either.

I know now that I asked for something impossible, but I saw SX is able to change the tempo without affecting the pitch, and it can also create perfect loops by cutting automatically nice slices of audio, using the option of "hitpoints". A combination of both could yeld on this possibility, I am right?

Again, Thanks a lot.

Alejo.

I was just thinking about this very same thing the other day becuase there was a tune I tracked without drums where I really like the vibe, and now I want to add drums but can just about gaurentee that I didn't keep it "click-track" accurate since I was just freewheeling it. I decided that it would be waymore trouble than it is worth even if it is an option (I got the idea after playing with time-stretch, as well), but it got me thinking.

Let us know if you try this Alejo, and how it worked out for you. I am sure I'm not the only curious one out there.

Hi Master!

Good to see you again. Lately I have been a little bit out of this forum (I finally found something better than home recording, who I am going to get married this summer with)

I am glad you are around. Anyway, I will try to get as much information as I can about this issue, which I believe it would save many hours of processing on parts that I feel slightly out of rhythm during mastering, but they are unappreciable when recording.

We will see.

Cheers,

Alejo.

Finally found something better than home recording??? Blasphemy!!! Bring on the tar and feathers.... Oh wait, it's your soon to be wife....well I guess that's cool then. Congrats buddy!! :D

Ya, I have actually been spending more time recording in the studio than on the net so I have just been peering in occationally myself. I have played with the time stretch on some effects and it is really amazing how it works, but it is slow because (at least on my 1.9 ghz, 1 gig fo RAM) it can take close to a minute to do some stretching, but I have never tried to do anything very intensive with it.

i dont know if this might help or not. (i doubt it as guitar involves pitch and musicality) but it might be worth playing with. Chop up the guitar using the Cubase hitpoints function so that it is in time with the drums. Now use the Close gaps function which timestretches each of the slices so that they join and prevents that stuttered sound. If you do have a go could you let me know the results.

Thanks

Keith

Mmmmm.... sounds really interesting what you said.
Too many concepts and very little time to play with them, though. I will let you know guys as soon as I get something.
Thanks, Millsy5.
Alejo.

I'm interested in knowing how well the time stretch feature can work for drums. I am working on drum tracks, and for some of the songs, the overall tempo is off, while on others, there are some parts here and there that are off.

Is Cubase powerful enough to help me fix this? I have click tracks as reference points, if that helps.

If you have Cubase SX then yes. Double click your drum audio event on the project page. Select the icon at the top of the window for hit points. Now adjust the sensitivity slider so that each drum hit is sliced and sounds on its own when you click on it with the speaker tool. Type in the number of bars in the top of the windo then right click and select audio slices and go back to the project window. The event will now play in time with your track and automatically adjusts when you change the tempo.

Ok, I tried what you said but it didn't work.

I wanted to start small, so I took a small sample of the track over which I knew the tempo changed for sure. I did the hitpoints thing and put in the number of bars. The tempo showed up in the little box as 2.54 or something, which is very strange. Then I did hitpoints/add audio slices, and i got an error saying there are too many audio segments, and it won't playback or anything. And I don't know how to change the tempo and watch the events adjust automatically.

Help?

It sounds like you had to many audio slices. Import a drum loop only. Be sure that you adjust the sensitivity so that each auio slice will contain 1 drum hit only. These can be auditioned with the speaker tool in the ssample editor page (the same page that you are adjusting the hitpoints. You will probably find that you need to manually draw some slices in with the pencil tool it is worth zooming in to make sure that these are acurate. When you enter the number of bars make sure the tempo shown is realist if it is not there is no point carrying on.

Pick a simple drum loop to start with until you've got the hang of it.

Let me know how you get on.

Keith

Back