Live Vocal LPG (Low Pass Gate) effect possible?

Searching for a LPG (Low Pass Gate) effect for my (live) VOCALS... is it possible?​

I'm searching for hardware gear for this effect in my (live vocal chain) but no clue how to get there. I cant find anything on this exact subject of a LPG type effect (Low Pass gate) on vocals. On modular its great!

I love the natural way a LPG (with vactorals) will cut out the high frequencies while simultaneously attenuating the sound... and also letting the highs through only when the signal gets stronger I know it from my LPG's in modular system but you never hear about it on vocals or instruments.

What is the easiest way to have the same effect on my vocals. I want the high frequencies of my vocals to only come out when at full volume. This will also smooth/ remove the highs from my transients considerable which is exactly what I want. I love low end in my tone and too much highs cut into my ears...but I can't cut the highs completely obviously but maybe wiht something like a LPG I can easily tame them and save them for the loudest parts. I think this would be killer sounding on vocals!!!

Any ideas (trying to stay around $500 on gear)

Any of these options get me there?
Sansamp para driver?
tube preamp?
LPG pedal?
ribbon mic?
Some sort of vactoral based gear?

This would be for a travel vocal chain setup so the smaller, simpler and inexpensive the better.

Thanks guys!! :D

I forgot to mention that while a LPG seems to effect more the decay of a sound.. I'm hoping to get the same effect but on the attack of my vocals... so they are smoother and the transients are tamed way down but still have amplitude, just less high frequency amplitude on initial attack, for a smoother/rounder/easing in of vocals. Maybe confusing and I'm not even sure I'm explaining this clearly but curious to hear your thoughts.

Sadly, i suspect we dont really understand what you are doing. I usually post to these things, but I dont understand what a low pass gate would actually sound like on your voice, so i cant even suggest anything. Maybe what you are doing would be best explained by a short clip? Oddly, everyone usually jumps in to these how do it type posts. The fact nobody has makes me wonder if we are all struggling a bit?

Hey Rob,

So actually.... the idea is there but a little foggy in my head also which was why I was hoping to open up a conversation about it. Its a hard thing to describe in words which I think is why its so interesting when I hear it! Basically, I'm searching for the sort of "feeling" from my vocals.... I hear it on other peoples vocals on certain albums and definitely notice the "feeling" more from tube mics and tube pres. I'm going for the opposite of a sharp transient sound. I like vocals to be strong in a way...but mellow and have very smooth/transients. Does that make any sense?

The way a LPG will sort of ease the audio in, and out, in that very pleasing/natural way it does, is juts so nice. this is what I'm going for. So looking to find out what gear would do this. And also curious as to "why" that gear has this effect.

well you could do it in most DAWs, but I've never seen it on a piece of hardware - but you could always use a compressor or gate with a side channel that controls the main one, and then apply your filter to the sidechain so the gate or the compression is only adjusted by the signal you feed in, with your pass frequencies adjusted.
I'm not sure it's really something repeatable enough at a live gig, and sound checks are never long enough for this kind of thing?

Interesting. Could you go into specifics on how I would set up a gate to do this.

Also any names of a hardware gate I could get for this effect?

As far as using a compressor....
I do use my side chain on my FMR RNLA to let more low frequencies through, and to keep my compressor from being overwhelmed and only controlled only by the bass...but not sure how a compressor would be used in the case above ?

if you already are doing this with a low pass, just slap a graphic in the side chain path. Compressors set to squash savagely are really gating. A gate set to open and close slowly is acting like a compressor. I cant really advise here because i still have no clue what effect you are trying to generate, but if you already are using side chain processing my guess is that you are trying to create a vocal effect totally unlike your real voice? Is that right?

A Rocktron Hush was a guitar gate that worked this way. But it was mainly used to minimise amp hiss when the guitar was quiet. The quieter the guitar, the more it would lower the corner frequency on the low pass filter.

if you already are doing this with a low pass, just slap a graphic in the side chain path. Compressors set to squash savagely are really gating. A gate set to open and close slowly is acting like a compressor. I cant really advise here because i still have no clue what effect you are trying to generate, but if you already are using side chain processing my guess is that you are trying to create a vocal effect totally unlike your real voice? Is that right?
No I do not have a low pass for my vocals yet.
Also I'm not trying to sound unlike me or unnatural really...just want to tame or even kill completely the transients of my vocals for certain tracks.
instead of having transients (loudest then softer) I want the total opposite to happen. (nothing/silent then louder/normal)

A Rocktron Hush was a guitar gate that worked this way. But it was mainly used to minimise amp hiss when the guitar was quiet. The quieter the guitar, the more it would lower the corner frequency on the low pass filter.
I see a lot of versions of this pedal...few racks and a few different stomps. Would any work better for my scenario?
Can you explain what you mean by corner frequency?

They all work kind of the same. They are meant for guitar.

The corner frequency is the frequency that the low pass filter starts lowering the high end. If it was a low pass filter on a mixer, it would be the frequency you set with the knob.

They all work kind of the same. They are meant for guitar.

The corner frequency is the frequency that the low pass filter starts lowering the high end. If it was a low pass filter on a mixer, it would be the frequency you set with the knob.
Sounds like it just might work. Much appreciated!

I suspect you will just have to collect a pile of kit and experiment? It’s something in your head we can’t quite imagine. I hope you get there.

Back