sE Z5600a II vs Neumann TLM 102

Robert27191

Hi All,

Firstly, I can't see any similar threads on this topic so hopefully am not doubling up on anything.

I'm looking for a new mic, almost exclusively for vocals but occasionally for acoustic guitar also. I have used the Rode NT1-A for some time and have never really been happy with the sound I've got out of it (cue jokes about bad workman and tools). Always found the high end a little harsh and too bright.

I have recently come into ownership of the new Clarett 2pre from Focusrite, which - despite all the marketing hype - really does sound excellent. Although the 'air' mode doesn't take the place of a real ISA preamp, it does give a little something to the sound source.

To the mics. I have researched extensively, and within the budget I have set myself, I have come down to the sE z5600a II (tube) or the Neumann TLM 102. There is remarkably little by way of reviews online of the Z5600A II, but what I have found seems to be very positive. Much written about the TLM, but fairly even reviews between good and bad.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of using either mic?

Really appreciate it.

Robert

Back