sE Electronics Reflexion Filter

Do a forum search on Reflexion Filter; I know that Slidey (who I haven't seen on here in a while) got one of those a few months ago and was raving about it. I've also read some very positive user reviews in the trade mags.

Ethan also has his own version over at RealTraps called the "portable vocal booth" or something like that, though I haven't heard too much about that one yet because it's a newer product.

EDIT: Apologies to Slidey, which is the real screen name of the gentleman from Scotland who had the Reflexion filter, not "Smiley" like I originally typed. I have no idea where that name came from :(

G.

Last edited:
Believe it or don't, I built one and it's not bad. I've only used it in my already treated studio so the gains are marginal but I want to try it in a more "live" setting to see how effective it is.

Believe it or don't, I built one and it's not bad. I've only used it in my already treated studio so the gains are marginal but I want to try it in a more "live" setting to see how effective it is.
Hey Mike, do you have a description online anywhere as to how you fabricated it? I thought I remembered someone talking about this a few months ago, but I can't find it now.

G.

I have one, and I love it. It does work well for rooms that are not so well treated. It works even better in a treated room. I've tried it on vocals and guitars and if I ever get a chance to record some drums again I may try it with the kick. I haven't tried ethans version so I have nothing to compare it to. Best thing to me is it's portable. I take it and a blanket with me and I have a portable booth.

How about in a room that doesn't really sound bad in it's own right, but is noisy?

Keep in mind that the Reflection Filter and Real Traps' Portable Vocal Booth are designed to minimize reflections, not to 'soundproof'. For example, if there's a loud fan or something running in the background, these products will probably not help much.

These products are designed for spaces that are not acoustically ideal. Specifically, rooms with lots of audible echo.

A friend of mine just bought the Real Traps version. He records in a square office with hard floors and no acoustic treatment at all. No carpet, couches, or really anything absorbent. The final configuration he ended up with was singing into the Portable Vocal Booth with his back to a closet containing hanging bedding comforters. I've A/B'd his home vocals with vocals he's done in my studio, which is heavily treated, and the results are definitely good enough. Night and day from what he was getting just wailing into an untreated room.

There is no reason you couldn't DIY something like this from OC703 or Roxul or whatever, but my friend is not the DIY type so this works for him.

Back