sE 2200a vs NT1a

Ridickolas

I was all set on getting the RODE NT1a after someone had advised me that if I was recording in a home studio with no acoustic treatment, the NT1000 would be too sensitive. Just today, I read positive reviews on the SE Electronics 2200a. I would like to know which is better for recording vocals, and also a bit of saxophone.
Thanks

I own both, and I would say in general, the NT1a is better for things that need to be brightened up (eg male voices), and the sE2200a is better for things that need to be tamed a bit in the high end (eg female voices). Both are going to expose the limits of your room, with the NT1a maybe doing it a little more because of its brightness. Both have their purposes.

...I got to give the heads up to the 2200A...I think it's "truer" to the source being recorded...the NT1A being more "hyped" as described above...personally I cashed in my NT1A a long time back, but my 2200A continues to hold it's position in my mic closet...

...the SE 2200A is based on the same design as MXL's V67G, only with higher grade caps, components and the addition of pad and filter switches...this design has stood the test of time being utilized by many of the import manufacturers as their entry level LCD offering...Joe Meek's JM47 also utilizes a very similar design...

...as far as the NT1A goes, spend a few dollars more and look for a clean used NT1000 (and disregard the "too sensitive" remark), a far superior mic with more pleasing sonic characteristics (IMHO)...the use of a home-made mic isolation baffle/screen will assist any condenser recording in an untreated room...

...for the best option, save a bit more and get yourself a Shure SM7B...does wonders in an untreated acoustic environment...the neighbor's dog, barking off-key, will thank you...;)

...if you go with a dynamic like the SM7, you probably won't need the isolator (like the Reflexion Filter) because dynamics are not as sensitive to ambient sound...but with a condenser, the isolator will diminish ambient noise...the Reflexion Filter, that although it does perform fairly well, is overpriced...you can rig up a "booth" with moving blankets and PVC pipe for about $35 that will do a pretty good job of diminishing unwanted sounds...you might want to check out the new KEL mic coming out later this month...a condenser that performs more like a dynamic...sounds good in theory...time will tell:
http://kelaudio.com/hm2d.html

Back