SCSI or a bigger, fast IDE

Riku

In my case the problem is with the money and I could save few finnish marks If I would buy IDE HDD.

I'm not planing to make big projects with my computer just mixing my band maybe 16 audio tracks (max). The main point is the learning I want to learn do some recording and mixing with my PC. I'm only recording one track at the time (guitars, bass and vocals) at home. I'm planing to do the drums in my school studio.

So in my case could I survive with maybe 30 Gt IDE??

I will buy a CD-RW to burn the projects and make some room to my HDD.

Please help?

This is a offer from my local dealer:

-Motherboard: Abit KT7
-Prosessor: Duron 800 Mhz + cooler
-RAM: 256 Mt,133 Mhz,SDRAM
-HDD: 20,4 GB UDMA/100 IDE (maybe 30 Gt would be better)
-Videocard: Geforce2 MX 32 MB AGP TV-out
-17" Samsung/Philips
-CD-RW: Samsung 8x/4x/32x IDE
-CD drive: Samsung 48X IDE

I'm planing to buy TerraTec EWX 24/96 any experiences with that soundcard? Does it work with AMD????

A 7200rpm 30 GB IDE drive is perfect for you!
Not sure about the aoundcard compatibility though.

Thanks Turner

That's what I was Thinking too...

Now there lays the question between the Terratec an AMD compatibility????

Help me?

IDE. No competition. SCSI rocks for servers with thousands of small accesses but for few and large read/write actions such as we have with DAWs, the difference is so small that it's not worth the extra money.

I'm going to say this again:)...get a bigger HDD. 16 tracks of 24/96 audio is 4,6MB per second. Your 20GB disc will be full within less of an hour of music.

Be nice to yourself and get a 19" monitor. I like NOKIA and Dell.

Yep thanks ola...tack

I just mailed my dealer and asked how much more will a 30 Gt IDE drive cost... I think that's still not enough but as I said I'm not planing to do major projects just for the learning and a bit more... and I could always burn the stuff to CD-Rs....

It should be about the same price. For example, the 40GB version of IBM's Deskstar 60GXP drive costs about FIM250 more than the 20G version.

Thanks ola

My set is now:

-Motherboard: Abit KT7 (or ECS? a bit cheaper -300 FIM)
-Prossu: Duron 800 Mhz + cooler
-RAM: 256 Mt,133 Mhz,SDRAM
-HDD: IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40 Gt
-Videocard: Geforce2 MX 32 MB AGP TV-out
-17" Samsung/Philips
-CD-RW: Samsung 8x/4x/32x IDE
-CD-drive: Samsung 48X IDE
+midi case,300W power, mouse+keys and 1.44 floppy.

It costs 7900 FIM which is 1328 EUR

How does this sound like is the dealer robbing me?

cost doesn't include the TerraTec EWX 24/96 it's +1088 FIM

ola said:
Which hoontech card do you have?

ola, I know you are using DSP24+ADC/DAC2000 ....

I am using SB Live! value now.... I am looking into upgrading my soundcard and hoontech is on the top of my list.

You should definetly get a detailed price quote. That way, you can easily compare prices, which can save you tons of money. Even buying from the UK and Germany can turn out to be a good deal. Buy the monitor and case locally, both because they're bulky and because of power compatibility but look around for the rest.

I'll get that detailed price list...

but think globally act locally....

I Think I'll support the local dealer if the price is reasonable...

I learned that ECS motherboard has a integrated soundcard is that can be switched off.Is this a problem??...(Could I use the integrated soundcard for example games if the TerraTec card doesn't work in gaming...)

Please help?

Try to avoid built-in soundchips. I have seen too many post here about built-in audio that causes conflict although it's been turned off. If the terratec card doesn't work with games, spend FIM100 on a soundblaster clone and you're set.

Back