SCSI hard disk problems...

Signa1

Can anyone out their give me some suggestions on an other means of external storage.

I have the VS-1680 with the expanded software. Knowing that the 2 gigs of storage within the unit would not be
enough for multiple projects I purchased an external 9 gig Seagate Cheetah, I thought that would be plenty enough
room. Which I’ve never even come close to filling up the disk, even in my busiest weeks.

Well the problem is this. I’m on my fourth one, and just two days ago it decided not to mount. This is the same
malfunction that has occurred with the other drives I had before. Luckily, Seagate has a beautiful warranty
program, I was able to get a totally refurbished drive in replacement for my other one. They both worked great for
a while. Then just like the other day, will decide not to mount. Sometimes after playing with my system a while I
can get it to mount, but in these instances the VS-1680 will look at the drive as not being formatted for it’s
software.

I know I lost everything again It’s a good thing I am a religion back up man, and all of the projects that where on
that drive had been saved in their most recent shape to CD-ROM.

Still, this situation disturbs me. I know I could get an other disk quickly, but this I can tell is one of those
problems that repeat.

It would be so cool if any of you can tell me what you use with your systems, or if any of you have had this problem
and corrected it. Am I doing something wrong, a procedure to shutting down. Working environment conditions,
temperature, dust, and power ect. ect. ect.

Please help me, I’m at the end of the road.

Signa1

I thought that the VS-1680 could back up its hard drive to a data CD-R as well as record audio CD-R. At least using the Roland burner. I know that they (CDR-II) are a little costly but they sound like what you need. They will also burn the CD to redbook specs which allow you to use cheap data DC-R instead of audio CD-R. Heck, you've already got the Roland VS, mights as well get the CDR.

If you are looking for something cheaper, you might want to consider an ORB drive (all you who know me were just waiting for me to plug the Orb). They have a SCSI external drive that uses 2.2 gb cartridges. I own a Fostex FD-4 and the Orb has worked flawlessly. And Fostex doesn't even endorse it yet on their compatability list. So you might give one of those a try. They run $230. The Syjet is also supposed to be good and fairly in expensive.

Peace, Jim

Back