SCSI CD Burners

BobHaymond

I was looking at Plextor CD burners and I noticed that SCSI units are more than $100 more than IDE units. I have an SCSI controller in my DAW but wondered if they both work why does anybody pay for the SCSI?

SCSI is more flexible than IDE (7 devices per controller rather than 2). It deals with multiple read/write requests better, which is why you find SCSI hard disks in file servers rather than IDE. The first generation of SCSI CDRs generally worked better than IDE. But for a single-user, non-network situation, a new IDE CDR drive will work just as well for you as SCSI. Go with SCSI only if you intend to have a real boatload of devices on your PC (muliple CDs, tape backup, ZIP drive, etc.) And you WILL pay more for SCSI devices.

Gotycha!

Thanks. My load may increase to one a month.

While we'er here, sombody mentioned firewire-=-will sombody tell me and other ignorami's what that means.

BTW, locally it's pronounced Far War.

Clemson, SC

Spin is right - faster than USB. Although USB is fast enough for many things, Firewire is much better for external hard drives. So far most Firewire devices have been aimed at the Mac market.

Also there is a faster USB 2.0 standard, but not much out there for it yet (it is backwards-compatible though). Someone is a making a PCI card with both USB 2.0 and Firewire ports on it, it might be a handy thing to have.

Back