SCSI Cable for VF-16

Kramer

Can someone post a link to the exact cable that is needed to hook up a JAZ drive to the VF-16?I've seen several different scsi cables but I dont know which is which.Thanks.

the jaz end is a 50 pin...HD50 to be specific.
the vf16 end is a 25 pin D connector. They're going for cheap on ebay. $6.00 buy it now. so what are you waiting for? buy it now!

JR#97 said:
the jaz end is a 50 pin...HD50 to be specific.
the vf16 end is a 25 pin D connector. They're going for cheap on ebay. $6.00 buy it now. so what are you waiting for? buy it now!

Thanks for info JR.Now give me that link to the product on e-bay!:D

I searched for "25 pin D connector" and didnt get it.Is this just an adapter that will fit on the end of the JAZ cable to convert it from 50 down to 25?

nope.. that's a centronics. don't do it!

click here instead!

I wasn't aware of any other Jaz manufacturers other than Iomega. There maybe other manufacturers of the disks, but not the drives themselves.

Anywho, do yourself a favor and see if you can find the Orb instead. Faster, cheaper, 2 gig instead of 1. (unless you get a 2 gig Jaz which aren't worth the money IMHO)

JR#97 said:
nope.. that's a centronics. don't do it!

click here instead!

I wasn't aware of any other Jaz manufacturers other than Iomega. There maybe other manufacturers of the disks, but not the drives themselves.

Anywho, do yourself a favor and see if you can find the Orb instead. Faster, cheaper, 2 gig instead of 1. (unless you get a 2 gig Jaz which aren't worth the money IMHO)

Thanks for the help JR!It's a little too late too look for an ORB.LOL.I just got a pretty good deal on everything I need to get started with the JAZ drive.This is what I purchased for $41 dollars:

1 Iomega Jaz Drive
2 blank 1Gig disks
1 "Tools" disk
1 Power supply (cord-wart)
1 5 foot 50-pin high-density SCSI cable
1 25-pin to 50-pin SCSI adapter
1 Owner's guide

That should have me covered for now.

Thanks again for your help.It's much appreciated!

the manual has an error in regards to this

Hey Kramer, sorry i didnt see this earlier...
You need a 50HD to 50 HD cable ...each end is a MALE (i.e. it has little pins in it) , and they are also known as 'micro' hd50- you WONT need the 25 to 50 adapter to hook the jaz up to the VF. The fostex manual has several errors in it,
and that is one of them!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2300627700&category=3668

That link gives a close up picture of the correct cable.

T

Re: the manual has an error in regards to this

teainthesahara said:
Hey Kramer, sorry i didnt see this earlier...
You need a 50HD to 50 HD cable ...each end is a MALE (i.e. it has little pins in it) , and they are also known as 'micro' hd50- you WONT need the 25 to 50 adapter to hook the jaz up to the VF. The fostex manual has several errors in it,
and that is one of them!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2300627700&category=3668

That link gives a close up picture of the correct cable.

T

Thanks for the info!I did get a 50HD to 50HD SCSI cable with my purchase off of ebay.(hopefully thats the one you're talking about)

It's also coming with a 25 to 50 cable.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Re: Re: the manual has an error in regards to this

Kramer said:
Thanks for the info!I did get a 50HD to 50HD SCSI cable with my purchase off of ebay.(hopefully thats the one you're talking about)

It's also coming with a 25 to 50 cable.

Thanks again!

Hi Kramer.

Sounds like you got a great deal, and yes, your one 50 to 50 scsi cable will hook right up to the jaz drive and to the VF, no adaptors needed. The adaptors, i think, and needed for the zip disks drives, not the jaz drives.

I have the external jaz, but for around 25 more, I also bought an internal jaz drive for the computer, and even got a scsi card and everything. Talk about quick, all I have to do is pop the disk out of the external hooked to the VF, and pop it in the internal hooked to the computer, and it loads my tracks up in Cooledit just as fast as loading them from any other hard drive in my computer. Go ahead and spend another 30 bucks and get an internal Jaz. make sure it comes with the 5,25 bay adaptor. i slid mine in right under my CDrom, and it was so easy, I had the entire thing installed in five minutes, and it loaded up on first boot, and I loaded the Iomegaware drivers from their site, and just like that, I had my two drives working. It almost makes my built in Fostex burner meaningless. i wish I had saved the money and got a used VF-16, and then added these options. I highly recomend spending the extra 25-35 and getting an internal jaz for your computer. If you are using XP, make sure you get an adaptec scsi card that is the 2940 series or higher. XP found my scsi card and set it up without a hitch.

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff!I actually got turned onto the idea of a Jaz drive from your very informative post from a few days ago to pete halo.I see the pros and cons of adat and scsi devices.For me a Jaz drive just made more sense because I dont have a digital soundcard.I cant fit another internal Jaz drive into my computer unless I pull out one of my 2 CD drives.I kinda like both of them for copying purposes but who knows,I may pull out the CD drive,leave the CD-RW intact and make room for an internal Jaz drive in the near future.

Thanks for the informative post located here!

You can always go external with SCSI. You should be able to find an external case pretty cheap. Just don't skimp on cables. Most SCSI problems are due to poor quality cables or termination.

Kramer said:
Thanks for the info Jeff!I actually got turned onto the idea of a Jaz drive from your very informative post from a few days ago to pete halo.I see the pros and cons of adat and scsi devices.For me a Jaz drive just made more sense because I dont have a digital soundcard.I cant fit another internal Jaz drive into my computer unless I pull out one of my 2 CD drives.I kinda like both of them for copying purposes but who knows,I may pull out the CD drive,leave the CD-RW intact and make room for an internal Jaz drive in the near future.

Thanks for the informative post located here!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was a fun thread.

You can just buy another external for your computer too. You don't need to get rid of one of your drives (though I just use my cd burner in my computer as my normal cd rom, and haven't had a problem in over two years). Just grab the 2940 series scsi card, and it has an external scsi port on it as well as the internal hookup. So, you can grab another external drive for maybe an extra 5 bucks over what you would get an internal for. It is so nice to be able to pop the jaz disk out of the Fostex jaz drive, and pop it right into the computer jaz drive. I did this last night, and it is so cool. I had recorded four tracks for a paying customer, and I screwed up on the bass track. I just saved all the tracks as wav files on the Fostex Jaz, and popped that disk right in the computer Jaz, and went into the multitrack view in cooledit, and they loaded right up, I believe, even faster than my normal hard drive. My 2940 scsi card is 20 megs per second, and damn that Jaz drive is fast. I really believe they loaded up faster than if they had been on my normal hard drive. Of course, they were all in sync, and I simply took that bass track and copied good portions that matched the bad portions, and pasted them right into the mistake spots. I fixed the mistakes, then did some eq, and compressed the bass, got rid of the noises at the beginnings of the tracks where i was moving around. I then saved each file back to the jaz disks, overwriting the originals, and popped my disk back into the Fostex Jaz drive, and loaded them right back up, all in just minutes.

Later, I recorded a keyboard track with many mistakes. Since my other four tracks are still on my jazz disk, I can save my keyboard track to that disk, load it and one of the other tracks for reference back into Cooledit, and fix the keyboard track, and load that sucker back in too.

This shit is just too fun.

Jeff

Thanks for the info jeff.So I will need 2 Jaz drives to transfer files into my computer?Is that because both will be formatted differently?Im a dumbass when it comes to computers.I found another cheap Jaz drive on e-bay thats supposed to be in mint condition.If I get this second Jaz can I use an adapter to send the Jaz drive into the computer through the printer port?(im thinking it's an scsi port)Is that possible?Will it work or will I need the 2940 series scsi card?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Kramer

p.s.Do you know if a 1 gig Jaz disk is readable in a "2" gig Jaz Drive?

Kramer said:
Thanks for the info jeff.So I will need 2 Jaz drives to transfer files into my computer?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

absolutely not. I purchased my second for convenience. T least you should do is grab the scsi 2940 series card, cause that will be far faster than using the printer port. I just wanted the second drive so that I could leave my jaz drives plugged in, and so I wouldn't have to be switching them. You can use just the one drive, and hook it to the scsi card's external port in the computer. I didn't feel like doing that. I wanted to just pop my disk out of one drive and pop it into the other.

Jeff

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff!;)

I think Im gonna grab a second Drive right now since they are so cheap on e-bay.

Back