SCSI cable and ZIP disks

gritzy

I recently came by a VF-16 and I very recently got a Iomega Zip drive for it. The data cable that came with the external is not compatible with the VF-16. What kind of cable do I need to go from the VF-16 to the Zip and back? I've heard of SCSI cables, but are both ends of these cables SCSI, or is one always that 25-pin connector for a computer or external drive?

Also, since the VF-16 formats Zip disks in its own format, do I need to get some sort of virgin, unformatted Zip disks or will PC formatted disks work? Thanks for any input offered.

gritzy,
This was posted by Jim a while back. Yes, you need an adaptor........Do a search and you will find all the threads for this.

"I had a heck of time finding an adaptor. I eventually bought a 50 to 25 pin cable off the internet at buy.com. I do know that Best Buy is supposed to carry the adaptor, but being that the closest Best Buy is 50 miles away I chose the internet way. Adaptor or cable, make sure it is for SCSI. This is important. You do not need to get a terminator for the Orb as it has a built in one. Hope that helps."

Later
Bruce

gritzy said:
Also, since the VF-16 formats Zip disks in its own format, do I need to get some sort of virgin, unformatted Zip disks or will PC formatted disks work? Thanks for any input offered.

Gritzy,

You can use any Zip disk. The disks will be formatted to FDMS-3 (Fostex back up format) when you format through SETUP -> Disk Format -> Drive Select -> SCSI. Just make sure you don't have any data you need on the disk before you format (you probably knew that, but anyway...).

You can save/load WAV-files to DOS (PC) formatted disks from/to your VF. Useful when you want to import stuff into your tracks or export to a software editor. The VF can't DOS format a disk, though. You'll have to use already formatted disks or format thorugh your PC.

micmac

Back