Scrub-a-dub-dub

guttadaj

Howdy, folks.

A couple of questions about the scrub tool. When I use it, it works, in that it does play my stuff back at the different speed. However, it also gives me a repeated fast-clicking sound whilst I scrub (clicking is at same fast speed - not related to my scrub speed). Do others get this, or do you experience blissful, click-free scrubbing? Granted, my soundcard is not that great (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz), so I'm wondering if maybe people with higher-end cards don't have the same problem.

My other question related to the scrub tool I think may have to do with a "controller surface" or maybe not. Basically, I find it very difficult to use the scrub tool and achieve any sort of consistent speed when using the mouse - the mouse just doesn't really seem to be a very good controller for it. So, how do you all use it? Are you just much better mouse users than me? :D Or do you use some sort of controller surface for it? My friend uses an AKAI DPS16 for his sequencing, and it's got this wheel/knob control on it that lets him slow down the audio and scrub it very easily - very slick! That's what made me think maybe there's some controller surface out there that people are using with SONAR that has some kind of wheel/knob thingie that helps people scrub more easily...?

As always, any and all input greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,
-Jeff

I'm using Sonar 3 with a Tascam 1884. When I scrub with the latency slider at 5.8 ms, I get distortion big time. If I bump it up to 8.7 ms, everythings cool. Maybe yours is a latency thing too. Have you tried different latency settings for the scrub?

I'm hoping that Frontier Design will eventually assign the scrubber to my data wheel. That'd be pretty great.

Thanks for the response, Steven.

I don't have distortion per se, just the nasty click-click-click. I haven't tried playing with my latency/buffer settings, although I'm at as low as I can go now without getting dropouts, which is a sad 20msec. I'll play with that to see if more buffers or latency helps the scrubbing. I took a look at the Tascam unit you've got - looks pretty sweet, sorta like the AKAI unit my friend's got. It's too bad that its jog/shuttle wheel can't be assigned to do scrubbing.

Thanks again. :)
-Jeff

Just saw this Shuttle PRO v.2 controller surface, and it's got a jog/shuttle wheel. Anybody tried this one? How you like it? Can you assign the wheel to the Scrub tool?

Thanks!
-Jeff

Back