Screwtape

Nilbog

hello
Hey everyone, check out the new tune here. It's called "Screwtape" - based on the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

If you wouldn't mind giving a little critique, and especially comment on the orchestra in the background of the clean guitar part.

I don't take credit for the mix or the songwriting. The song was written by the guitarist in my band , and most of the recording was done by our drummer.

Any comments welcome!

-Nilbog

Okay, if someone's going to vote one star on the thread, at least have the guts to tell me what you didn't like, sucka!

Ok, i listenend..

maybe the 'links' in your post are confusing i checked out the link to the book the song was based on at first..

I like the writing, performances, and song as a whole. I think the recording as a whole would benefit somehow by trying to eq some of the highs into some of the parts. The guitar and drums seem to be lacking a top-end crispness.

Like that bass break that occurs at 4:50. The drum parts are well written. When the guitar hits that last ringing chord maybe have the bass ring with it as well to fill it out.

I really enjoyed this tune. You guys got a smooth goin on. Very clean and tasteful performance and recording. The vocal track is very good. The mix appears to need a bit of sparkle on the top end to me .

Kick a$$ tune dude.I've seen the book in the Christian bookstore a million times but never picked up a copy.I like the whole groove of the song and the REAL drums sound great to my ears.The bass line near the end of the tune is cool.The guitars sound decent also.Did you play on it?

I agree that the whole mix cold use a little bump in the high end.Maybe boost a couple of db's at 10k.

Good tune.

I'll give you some stars to counter attack the one star bandit-ball-licker.

lynx - sorry, I didn't talk to the band about releasing the song online. IF we do release songs, we do it at www.thepowerless.com

khomputer - Thanks. The bass rings with the chord at the end, but you can barely hear it. Maybe we'll fix that in v. 3.0

Toki - Thanks, I really like our singers voice, too. We'll probably redo that track as it was the first take! :)

Kramer - Appreciate the comments (and the stars!) The book is amazing and really enlightening. It's really a expose into human reasoning and the way we fool ourselves (or the devil fools us?) into acting stupid. I'm playing bass on the song - just got a new one, in fact!

Back