Screwtape V2

oli

nilbog posted this a while ago and I though i would post a new version:

new vocals
new drums
new guitar
new room
new alien effects!

I was hoping to get some more good info on what it needs and what needs to go.

my idea of mastering this was running it through the waves L2. any advice in this area would be very helpfull. also what about the guitar sound? i dont know about it.
I am playing the drums so I will thank you to keep all insults in this area tastefull at least.

very cool song!

the recording sounds a bit strange.. almost live.. parts of it seem like the mids are too scooped and the drums could be crisper.. I don't know.. the music mix could be crisper..

very cool song!

not to revive such an old thread, but....

we really need some input on the vocals. They either sound to raw, or too flat depending on what we try. But we want something that will lay nicely just on top of the track with a good rich tone. We have a rhode NT1, and of course various sm57's and such. We are using nuendo and have access to various VST effects and such.
Also, would the VST compressors sound better, or my RNC?

Well thats the problem, the vocals just sound fine. But when you listen to a song on the radio, the vocals sound AMAZING! Rich, full, constant - they FILL the mix. THats what we want but cant quite seem to grasp.

-Nilbog

note: I dont mean a song sounds good over radio waves, but just any popular song. Listen to a radiohead CD, that is the sound we want!

I agree with slfclash...vocals are fine...bring the mix down. You can ask MM but, have you tried using an aural exciter for the vocals? It may solve that up front vocal problem you're trying to get. The drummer is working his ass off in the latter part of the song....He needs to be up front more in the mix. Think John Bonham man! I think the drums need more definition and seperation. I would never use a SM-57 for vocals. I use them for guitars and or some drums.

:cool: peace

I think a better or at least different mic might be the key to your vox. And fiddle with the EQ (more mids?). Also I wonder if the reverb on the vox isn't part of the problem. Vox sound like their in a bathroom, rather than in a warm room. I'm listening on computer speakers, tho, so take my stuff with a grain of salt.

Other than that, I second (or third, or whatever) the idea of bring up the vox and drums.

Cool song, tho - I think it can be cleaned up real nice without having to do too much more work.

Back