Screen Resolution?

ChristopherM

Personally, I use 1280x1024

I try to make sure my websites look best in 800x600 but still presentable in higher resolutions.

What screen resolution do you use?

I use 1152x864. I try to make my sites resizeable so no matter what your screen size, it fills it up all the way.

You just use tables and have the width="100%". You need a colum of the table able to be resized. Lets say you have a picture in each corner and text in the middle. The two end colums with pictures will be sized to the pictures, while the middle will be whatever is left over. Most of the time, you need to have more than one table. The top bar will have a picture in each corner and the middle can be what's left over. The body of the page will have a nav bar that's set to a width and where the words are, that's the area that is left over.

sjaguar13 said:
You just use tables and have the width="100%". You need a colum of the table able to be resized. Lets say you have a picture in each corner and text in the middle. The two end colums with pictures will be sized to the pictures, while the middle will be whatever is left over. Most of the time, you need to have more than one table. The top bar will have a picture in each corner and the middle can be what's left over. The body of the page will have a nav bar that's set to a width and where the words are, that's the area that is left over.

Cool. Last night I pulled out my Quickstart Guide to HTML and thoroughly read the section on tables. I'm not going back and changing anything in my sites now, but definitely on the next revision.

I use usually 640x480 with tables to expand with hgher resolutions... mainly because I program my site on my server which is a P200 running linux... with on board video :)

I would also strongly recommend making use of server side includes (SSI), if you arn't already, for things that appear on each page... like menues... you update one file to change the menus on each page etc.

Yeah, the SSI is a real life saver. My site now has the menu loaded from an external file, as well as the main content on the home page. The main crap is always updated and it's easier to load it in, then to put it right in the index.html file. My site is also skinable. Well, you can just change colors. I knew before I started, that if I couldn't make everything into one file, I wasn't going to do it. Having a 12 page site x 10 colors = 120 pages the menu shows up on, 10 home pages, and the like.

sjaguar13 said:

I never do that with my sites. I want everything to look exactly the same no matter what the resolution.

I always make my websites 780 pixels wide, wich will work perfectly on a 800x600 screen, because it leaves room for the scroll-bar on the right without forcing the left-right scroll bar on the bottom.

A
www.aaroncheney.com

The only thing I don't like about that is if the screen is bigger than 800 pixels wide, you have a bunch of blank, unused space. To make everything look the same no matter what the screen width, wouldn't you want it to be in a 100% table?

The problem there is if you have text that is filling a certain amount of vertical space, once you widen the cell it repaginates and fills a smaller amount of vertical space. All of a sudden things look different. You may know some way to cause the text to dynamically change size along w/ table width. Enlighten me if you do.
Also, tell me more about SSI's. I understand the point of using them, but I have to idea how to actually do it.... Sounds like a huge time-saver though.

A
www.aaroncheney.com

Using tables for layout is not cool any more, ever since HTML 4 and the current Document Object Model support by all browsers has finally somewhat stabilized and obviated the need for it.

Table layouts were always hacks, a clever way to get around the limitations of earlier versions of HTML. It seems that many people that learned these tricks are loathe to learn the better way to do it -- positioning using DIV tags -- or haven't even gotten the word that it's possible and preferable.

Here's some good articles that discuss these issues. Some are rather technical but, if you're doing websites for a living, they should be well within your grasp.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/journey/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/practicalcss/
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#tables-layout

Back