Screamingggggg!

applesmasher

Back awhile there was a thread on singing techniques and a bunch of people including myself wanted to know how to scream. Ive basically concluded that you should do some singing lessons first, then your screams will natural come off better. Heres a link to some threads on screaming I found if anyones interested. If you have any more in depth articles or something please, post them!

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83073

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83073

rawwr!

Pain works.

Like have someone give you a full-out wedgie while you're tracking. Or have 'em pound a nail in to your hand or something.

Frightening things also work quite well. Like have someone smear fake blood all over themselves and lie down on the studio floor, motionless, before you get there.

If neither of those can wrestle a good, hearty scream out of ya, I don't think your fancy, expensive lessons are going to do ya any good.

Apple, there is no "healthy" way to scream vocals...

Around 25 years ago, I was fortunate enough to meet Horst Gunter, a world famous baritone/vocal coach. We talked about whether there was a valid vocal technique for hard rock screaming in detail.

He was approached by a top German rock band, my guess, The Scorpions.
They wanted to help the lead singer avoid any further vocal problems.

They tried applying the best operatic ideas, but it became apparent it wasn't working out the
way the singer/band/coach had hoped.

Horst has a very progressive, open mind, but there seems to be no reliable technique for screaming that doesn't tax the vocal cords,
according to him.

On the other hand, there are two basic types of voices, those that are classified as "dramatic" or "lyric" (melodic).
Examples of pop singers with greater declamatory power AKA "dramatic", would include Aretha Franklin or Elvis (in his prime).

Most singers fall into the lyric classification,
and they are more vulnerable to hurting their voices via vocal excess.

Remember you only have one voice to use
or lose! Ain't like a guitar.

Chris

P.S. I asked him what was the easist pop
genre on the voice. He said it was...
Country! :)

O boy country! My fav, ill think illl convert o_O .hehe. Well i realize alot of bands that use totally improper techniques can ruin thier voice, like alot of the early hardcore punk bands that screamed every lyric did, but there are different ways to scream. The heavy metal type scream all comes from the gut and is supposed to pass through the vocal chords with out much tension. While a "screamo" type screen just uses a heady, high falsetto voice. Screamo is safer i think cause, you dont use the chords as much. I still have ALOT to learn about the techniques, and Im not trying to mess around with actually screaming for now. But yah it is dangerous especially when your starting out if you dont have someone experienced to show you. But i think alot of rock bands that have been around for 10 years or more have been screaming and still have thier voices, and even more bands today are doing it so i think it must be at least "relatively" safe. Maybe you just have to take care of your voice better if your going to be doing it.

Most singers don't, unless they have lessions from an advanced vocal teacher, because most teachers are confused about falsetto and true "head voice". They think they're the same thing.

When the Italian Bel Canto school called it "falsetto" meaning "false", they weren't kidding around. They knew it couldn't be a properly supported tone, whereas "falsettone"
a "mix" of true chest/head tones IS the correct way to sing the highest (comfortable) notes. When you're singing in front of 500+ people, without any amplification system, this is crucial.

Apple, there is a book called "Caruso's Method of Vocal Production", you can pick up for under $10 new. It is a vocal instruction classic and you'd learn a lot from it IMHO.

And if it was good enough for Caruso...:D

Chris

Thanks for the tip. I might stop by the library and check that out. Right now im looking at the roger love technique.

Last edited:
This guy that I know has an excellent screaming voice, and while i'm sure that it is more taxing on his chords then softer singing, I'm almost positive that he is not doing any serious damage. When you listen to him when he screams, you can still really hear a lot of body to the sound, leading me to believe that he MUST be singing from his diaphram to achieve that tone. When he hits the high notes, he hits them pretty damn load, and it seems to 'overload' or distort his vocal chords in a very pleasant way. I know that he has taken pro lessons, and I also know that he practises a lot (probably doesn't scream when he practises). Anyways, the guys been playing in bands as a full time job for like 10 years or something, and his voice does not sound like there's anything wrong with it. Still very smooth when he wants it to be, speaking or singing. His screaming style however is not hardcore. It's more like AC/DC, Steven Tyler, John Lennon, type of screaming. Anyways, it sounds f@#$ing beautiful, and does not sound like it's dangerous as so many other voices do...

With all due respect, "screaming"/"growling" etc., isn't REALLY singing. The vocal cords are designed for speaking and/or singing without straining. I love hard rock screaming too, it's just that it's a form of musical entertainment, not to be confused with
how the human voice was naturally designed to work.

Smoking cigarettes for 20+ years and not getting lung cancer,
is somewhat analogous to hearing stories about so and so
seeming like they haven't ruined their voice.

There are some exceptions, like Howlin' Wolf (an all-time fave),
who naturally has great character in his voice IMO, but it
wouldn't be considered a beautiful voice based on European
Classical singing standards. (Am a big fan of all Smatty's examples too).

If you guys want to hear some of the most radical singing ever recorded, check out the recordings of the dramatic tenor,
Lauritz Melchior. He specialized in the most difficult song repetoire on the planet, Wagnerian operas.

That will give you an idea on how far a human voice can go
regarding LOUD "like a yell" singing.

Makes the rest of us sound like underfed alley cats! :D

Chris

Depends who you ask.

I understand what you mean, however, my intention was "healthy singing" that strengthens the voice versus "unhealthy singing" that stresses the vocal cords.

We are given a choice of either way.

Chris

i can scream its not that hard it just kind of hapens if u do it from ur stoamch just like singing youll be fine, alot of ppl scream from there throats, therfore a sore throat, but if u do it from ur stomach and u practice a lil bit its easy

will sometimes a little straining of the vocal chords past thier normal limit, break them down a little and make them regrow stonger like muscles? Or is that retarded?

Last weekend I performend 4 hours of stage singing a day, 3 days in a row (fri, sat, sun).
On monday I could only speak (not sing), but by tuesday I was back at my optimum.
I do this singing program www.singingsuccess.com it is fantastic and well worth the money.
I couldn't sing on the monday not because I damaged my voice, (because I do use correct technique) but because it was tired.

After a game of basketball Michael Jordon tires even though he is playing with correct technique!

Your vocal chords are a muscle, and like any muscle you cannot suddenly put alot of strain on it. You need to train it.
You wouldn't run a 40km marathon without training at the intensity you need to actually do it!

My advice, there is no safe screaming, but there is 'safer' screaming. Build up your vocal chords first with correct technique, you'll learn how to recover and make them strong to begin with.
Then add in your screaming, gradually, start with perhaps a screaming excersise and song a day... after a month make it 2 /day... until you can perform a 60 minute set.
Scott Mellish

I was reading an article that was touting a new book about these screaming vocals. The book interviews guys like Geoff Tate and David Draimen. Ive thought about buying the book to see. I guess guys that the growl and scream have to be do it a certain way, otherwise the tightening of the vocal chords can occur and you lose the whole enchilada alot sooner. I scream alot, but its not as growly as I'd like. Im loud and clear... Darn! When I was in choir as a young man, the teacher told my parents I had a really nice voice..really clean and clear like Karen Carpenter! Oh yay!!!!!!!!!!! I want the kinda voice that scare children and adults alike!

SoMm

Back