Schecter 7 string PUP change

metalj

If anyone is familiar with the Schecter, Jeff Loomis model 7 string guitar. I personally love the feel of this guitar but hate the 707 blackout pickups.

I want to change them out, but the way the guitar is designed it seems it is made for only these pickups. Other brands PuPs won't fit.

Is my only option to get out the router? I hate to do that but it seems like its the only answer with this guitar.

If anyone knows another way, I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

The only difference between duncan passives and those active EMG pickups is the depth at which they have to be set (an active EMG is thicker).

But I see no reason why it would be an issue to just drop in another pickup without problem.

Oh I see what your talking about. the only difference is there will be some space around the pickup since they routed it for that extra plastic on the pickup. Shouldn't mess with being able to put another one in. I'm also guessing that they used springs under the pickup on the screws to set the height, I've also seen (depends) some foam pads under the pickups to help with setting the hight.

Either way, your putting a shallower pickup in so no routing will be necessary. The only thing I don't know about because I have not done it myself (I have done a few pickup changes though) is how having one passive and one active pickup works (if that is your plan, if replacing both then NM). I've never done anything like that. My guess is it will be fine but honestly I'm not that knowledgeable of how that would work or even if it will work.

7_string.jpg

it is simply that the guitars pickups and the hole they go in measure 3.5 inches wide. If I wanted to drop in a duncan distortion 7 I would have to route out the slot wider as the Duncan pickup is 3.70 wide from where the mounts are. I just won't physically fit. I wonder why Schecter would limit their guitars and customers like that?

"hate the 707 blackout pickups"
What now?
I know the 707s and know the Blackouts... But 707 Blackouts? =P They aren't even made by the same guys.

As for the different sizes, I'm sure there is a little wiggle room for it. I've never seen a pickup have such a tight fit before. Both the pickup and the routing the same size? My arse. =P

"hate the 707 blackout pickups"
What now? It appears that my only option is to sell the guitar and buy one where I can either swap pickups or like the ones it comes with.
I know the 707s and know the Blackouts... But 707 Blackouts? =P They aren't even made by the same guys. My pickups are called EMG 707 blackouts.

As for the different sizes, I'm sure there is a little wiggle room for it. I've never seen a pickup have such a tight fit before. Both the pickup and the routing the same size? My arse. =P
There is no wiggle room on this guitar, they are indeed the same size with no wiggle room.

See for yourself here Jeff Loomis NT - Schecter Guitar Research

So the routed area is only ______ wide on the lumis?

Also: When is the last time you changed the battery? I recorded someone with a Gibson with emgs and he was ready to sell it till we changed the battery.

Bust out the router, and make it work. The Schecter will never have any intrinsic value to speak of, so fix it to where you like it.

Screenshot2012-03-14at52758PM.png

Well there is your problem (this is the 707 dimensions). That sucks, pretty big difference. You might be able to get away with the screw holes being different but that width thing blows.

Back