SBLive or Cobra AW-850? Did I get ripped off?

zenpeace69

I went to a local computer shop and asked them about sound cards. The guys rambles on about all kinds of stuff I know nothing about. He says that my SBLive card has "200 voice" and that this other card they are selling has "800 voice" saying that the higher the rating the better the sound quality. I believe him and purchase the Cobra AW-850 and uninstall my SBlive and load up the Cobra. Well, it sounds like shit. It plays sounds fine, but when I record with it it is faint and full of hiss. Did I get ripped off?

Also, this guy said that when I record I should be running my line from my little mixer into my "midi-in" instead of my "mic-in" for digital (supposedly better) sound quality.

Did this jerk know what he was talking about?

Please help me... I am very frustrated putting together a decent recording set up.

thanks

You got shafted.

MIDI inputs do not accept any type of input besides MIDI data. Multitimbral or polyphonic voices are synthesizer terms. It has nothing to do with recording quality. Bring it back. And while you're at it, make sure you go to the store when it's busy. That way when you start bitching at the guy for giving you bad information, all of his other customers will hear you.

zenpeace69 said:
Did this jerk know what he was talking about?

No. What an amazing idiot. People like that should be locked up.

Please help me... I am very frustrated putting together a decent recording set up.

thanks

Take your Cobra back, and get an M-Audio Audiophile. They're only $139 from digitalproaudio.com, and you'll have a professional level sound card. You won't regret it. Ask anyone on this board.

Back