SB Audigy (don't laugh) to M-Audio410

OK, once you've stopped laughing like my friends alreayd have (hee hee) I've got an issue then a question...

Issue:

I have a PC, PIII, WinXP, more RAM & HD than needed. I had a SB Audigy Card install a few years back on it as my studio just didn't need the extra PC... I just needed a decent consumer card for doing multimedia Apps (I'm a multimedia designer during the day, musician by night).

It's been fine. Any music I needed was done within my studio and then brought over via CD if I needed anything in this PC... although the SPDIF connections were tempting at first (through the Audigy front bay) but I heard differences in sound quality and chose to lift off the CD instead.

OK... as you may know, companies like SB try to let the consumer feel as if he or she can do anything (and that's OK) with their sound... they have all these options from (faux) "Surround" to (simulated) "verbs" and stuff. To the professional, they sound like doggy 'el doo-doo.

The issue that I have set-up here, is that even when I listen to headphones through the jack on the bay, it sounds like a "Vocal Remover" effect has been applied to everything. It's just horrible. I have un-installed everything I can think of... including any SB Audigy "Headquarters" software and SB Sound Font type stuff... etc.

It still sounds bad.

Any suggestions?

The question is that will the M-Audio410 be a sufficient replacement (as I'm getting rid of the ole' SB)?

I will be transferring directly out of my Roland VS-1880, but probably won't be doing much recording on my PC... unless I use something like Acid and need a voice-over or something.

Thanks in advance for your knowlegde!

Chad
www.thelogicmusic.com
www.chadaustin.com

I have a 1010 and 2 410s in my system. The 1010 has better converters but the difference between the two is very marginal, plus if you use the S/PDIF you're bypassing the convertors so it should work just fine. It'll definately be a huge improvement from the SB

Thanks LemonTree...

The 1010 is attractive, I just may go with that option.

Question about either- will my PC still be able to play wav files or MIDI files is the 1010 or 410 is installed and the SB removed?

Thanks,
C

Hey- I thought of another question, if that's OK.

I've heard there were MIDI problems with the 1010. Have you encountered any such issues? My studio and most of my equipment is MIDI.

Thanks,
C

never heard of any problems with the midi. I've had mine since it came out in 1999 and it works perfectly.

It's very possible that there is something wrong with the physical jack on Audigy.

When headphones are plugged in a certain way (bordering half in/half out), the phase will cancel and it would sound like a vocal remover has been applied.

Make sure surround sound is off, and you are in headphone mode. You may just be listening to the L and R of a LCR surround decoded mix, which would sound like the vocals are removed.

Thanks LemonTree- perhaps I was reading some older posts!

Alexbt - I would have suspected the same thing, however, the outputs on the back of the PC (going to my external speakers) yielded the same, crappy resuls... which leads me to SRR's point...

SRR... I suspect you may be right... but I thought I had deleted everything that came bundled with the Audigy so as to keep this effect from happening. I can't find it anywhere (I'm pretty computer literate compared to most folks but damn!).

All you guys rock with your suggestions.

Back