Saving tape archive, help!

GrampZ

Howdy,
I've owned a Tascam 388 for a long time. It's been idle for a few years. I pulled it out to review some of the old library of material from back when. Most of the tapes were recorded about 15 years ago. Ampex 457.
I was horribly suprised to find that the entire library has a deterioration problem. After only a few minutes of playing time, the tapes had deposited a huge amount of gummy crap on the tape path and heads. I tried several and found them all to be the same.
I emailed Quantegy about the problem and they put me in touch with a person who worked for Ampex/Quantegy for 30 years and still does consulting for them. He told me the problem was the binders in the media were breaking down and that the tape had pretty much reached the end of it's life. BUT! there is a way to recondition the tapes so they may be played once or twice to transfer the tracks to another machine or computer. You have to "bake" the tapes at 130F for about 8 hours to remove all the moisture from the tape. He recommended using a FD-50 food dehydrator for the purpose. He has recovered archived material for many people including the Library of Congress and I was very impressed with his knowledge of the subject and his willingness to take the time to go throught the whole process with me.
So now I need to transfer the tracks to another machine or media. I'm thinking maybe the 1010lt PCI card into my computer. That way I can transfer the raw tracks intact onto the harddrive and/or send them back onto new tape. George told me the new Quantegy tape should be good for 30 years or so.
So thinking along the lines of recovering the old tracks AND expanding the capabilities of my recording/editing gear, I'm thinking that the 1010 PCI card, a couple of 8 channel snakes, and a stack of new 457 tape will get me on the way.
Any thoughts on this plan? Other schemes to do the same thing? Appreciate your time!
I 'spose I could just get another 388 too!

GrampZ
SoCa

This is an easy one.

Buy a Tascam DV-RA 1000 (it was practically designed for a situation like yours), and record those tapes to DSD, which is the highest quality digital format available. If the tapes can stand to be played more than once you can then record them to PCM (24/44.1 or whatever up to 24/192). I think that machine would cover your needs really well. Wish I had one.

The DV-RA1000 costs a little over $1000.

PHILANDDON said:
This is an easy one.

Buy a Tascam DV-RA 1000 (it was practically designed for a situation like yours), and record those tapes to DSD,

Looks like the DV-RA 1000 is a stereo device. I really want to send all 8 tracks from the 388 to a new format to mix later or re-record back to the 388 on new tape. I'm sure the tapes would not hold up to a full mixdown session to stereo, they are really in bad shape.
Might be beyond help even at this point. I don't need to save it all, a lot of it is less that perfect stuff anyway. We used to use the 388 to mix live shows and run the tape at the same time. Could just about get a set per tape. Then cull out the better stuff later. Much of it is not worth the risk of causing undue wear to the machne.
I was thinking of at least an 8 I/O device so I could use the Tascam mixer section and the computer hard drive as an option to save wear on the transport. I don't ever want to have to think about new heads!

Here is one of the oldies.........

and an unfinished redo..... sorry about the crappy sound, this was pulled off an old cassette.

GrampZ

Last edited:
Back