Saving RAM?

thedude400

I only have a 256 chip and a 512 chip installed currently. I usually like about 15 tracks audio running with a couple VST's on each and then about 5 midi tracks or so. I'm really cutting it close to getting that much done with only runn roughly 700 mb ram.

My question is, will processing the VST's on the spot take up less ram in the end, rather than live running all of then during playback and mixdown? (hope that makes sense)

No, infact, it will take more ram, because you are then playing back more audio files at once, while processing less. Right now, the VSTs are using up CPU power, but little ram.

Only thing I can say is, get more ram, or lower your bitdepth/samplerate.

Ok, I don't want to blow another 100 dollars on the expensive ram my computer needs so here is my plan.

Understanding that I may be compromising sound quality slightly, Rerecord the current project in 16 bit / 44.1 sample rate, THEN bounce the 5 drum tracks to 1 stereo and bounce all my mono guitar tracks to stereo.

Hopefully this will be an efficient way to free up cpu usage and ram usage so my computer doesn't crash everytime I'm running a bunch and hit a midi note?

I actually planned on rerecording the song anyway so it doesn't bother me much BUT, I nailed the drum tracks and sort of wanted to keep them only they are of course in 24-bit/48khz.

Is there something I can do to keep the drum take? maybe export (dither) the 5 tracks to 16-bit/44.1khz and then import into the new project with the new lower sample rate and bit depth?

Last edited:
Back