Sappy love song...forgive me

auburncatfish

I know, I know, but everybody's got a couple. Here's the 1st mix of a song called "Indian Summer". I'm particularily interested in whether I pulled the vocals off. I don't think I did, but I 'll let y'all be the judge of that. Thanks a bunch.

Andrew.

http://songramp.com/andrewrypel

the recording sounds nice man! the acoustic just really sounds good. impressive.

the vocals sound sweet too... sounds like a pro recording to me.

i like it! very impressed, i might add this to my winamp playlist.

keep up the good work. :)

i LIKE IT MAN, doesnt seem like a love song unless you really listen close, i guess. anyway, good job man.

Nice song Andrew, the guitar sounds really good. I would turn up the lead vocals a little bit. They seem to be hiding, and there's no need to hide them - they are solid. Also, the panning on the guitar solo at the end is a little extreme in my opinion. (I'm listening on phones).

Dude - Thanks. I get paranoid about my lyrics oftentimes.

Dirtythermos - I'll try bumping those vox up a tad. Funny, nobody here ever tells you to turn them down.

I think your also right that the solo is panned too hard. Should've known that. I haven't found the right place for that solo in the mix yet. It just doesn't sound right yet. Like it's too dry or sticks out too much, but I can't get a pulse on that solo. I like the track, it just isn't sitting well.

Any suggestions?

wow

i really, really like this song. very nicely done. the acoustic guitar sounds very good as it is, but personally i like a bit more sparkle. maybe a shelving high, but that's just my taste -- it sounds wonderful as it is. the vocals are good too. am i hearing a chorus effect on those vox, or just doubled? sounds a little odd, but then again, take my words with a grain of salt. once again, very nicely done.

justin

Jotosuds - I have a very simple set up. I record my acoustic guiatars with a MXL 1000 condensor mic. I ram it right up to the body of my guitar below the soundhole. Then I record the vocals with either a shure 58 or some other crappy shures or the condensor. In this case I used the 58. I use a delta omni sound card.

Justin - Thanks for the listen. I can see how you might want a little more sparkle. I think part of that comes from me not changing my guitar strings enough. But I kind of like it that way. I think older strings can give off a warm, less offensive tone. Or maybe I'm just justifying having old strings. Anyhow, point taken.

And quite astute of you to notice the chorus effect. I ran a chorus over the vox of the chorus (so much chorus j/k). At first I thought it sounded a little odd myself, but it kind of grew on me. Not sure anymore now that you pointed it out. Thanks again.

Andrew

yes the guitars sound nice
The voice goes out of tune at times
Is that a mondolin..if it is I can barely hear it.

I hate this song
I was standing on my desk about to hang myself but then the song ended.

Very nice guitars
Very nice recording

Ps get a vocal mic

tjohnston said:
yes the guitars sound nice
I hate this song
I was standing on my desk about to hang myself but then the song ended.

Ouch. Well that confirms my belief that my songs would eventually kill someone. I really hope you didn't hang yourself, but thanks for your critique. I know exactly the parts you're refering too as out of tune. I plan to retrack those.

I'll bump the mandolin part up some too. I mixed it low on purpose, but maybe it's too low.

Thanks again for your comments.

Andrew

the lyrics are burlesque. it's o.k., not everybody can write good lyrics.

your voice has potential. you need to team up with a skilled songwriter and maybe just maybe...

"Lakeside we sat
My heart has never been as close as that
And we never said
We'll never know and this'll never end..."

my man.... this is quite profound. Chill bump stuff.. I really enjoyed this tune.
You got a better balance between the guitar and the voice on this one. Nice.

Back