Sansamp RBI question

dalley

I've read through all the Sansamp Bass DI threads and about to pull the trigger on an RBI. It seems some people go into a preamp before the interface (perhaps for additional coloration/hotter signal) and others go directly into the interface out of the RBI. Is this thing technically a preamp as well as a DI?

I would like to think I can go direct out of the RBI right into my Layla 3G. Am I correct in assuming I can do this? I'm using an active bass also if that matters.

Also, are there 1/4 inch balanced outs on this unit or am I better off just using the XLR out of the RBI into the 1/4 balanced jack on the Layla?

Last edited:
I use my SansAmp Bass Driver, which is more or less the same beast in the respect we're talking about, direct into a recorder or interface, bass > Sansamp > interface. I use the XLR out, with a Mogami XLR-TRS cable.

Also use the Bass Driver - nice preamp/DI. Don't know the unit to which you refer, but if it's basically a BD, then no need for additional preamp. Plently of signal out of mine, and a decent, solid sound.

robin watson said:
Also use the Bass Driver - nice preamp/DI. Don't know the unit to which you refer, but if it's basically a BD, then no need for additional preamp. Plently of signal out of mine, and a decent, solid sound.

The RBI is a rackmount version of the BD. I have decided on the RBI over the BD mainly for the added Midrange control and the rackmount capability. I just plan on using it in the studio and not at gigs, so I would rather have it racked. Fro an extra $120, I think it's worth it. Should sound killer w/ my Stingray ...

Thanks for the respnses, I think I will place my order tomorrow ...

it's a DI, as i understand it, and as I have been using it, so i always use a mic pre...even with the active electronics engaged. i think that's how it is intended to be used...like you do need the gain of the mic pre...it doesn't send a line level out.

unless...i'm doing it wrong...which is a distinct possibililty. :eek: :D

Mike

I'm not so sold on the Sansamp Bassdriver. Maybe bang/buck it's ok but otherwise it's not worth spending more to rackmount and get a mid control. I say spend the extra money by getting a better unit.

I use the RBI and it does indeed work fine with no pre-amp. It is in fact a pre-amp itself and not just a DI unit. I plug mine directly into my Delta 1010 and FWIW I have lots of headroom on the output level. Routing it through a nice pre-amp could be an option simply for the purposes of imparting a different character to the sound, but it's certainly not necessary.
I haven't used the stomp box version, but I can say that the mid control on the RBI is the most fiddled with control for dialing in tones for me. What I like about the unit is that the tone controls REALLY shape the sound. There's nothing subtle about them at all. Especially the mid control.

the U5 constantly gets trounced by the sans amp when ever i have access to both. i had access to both a bunch this past year. not that the U5 isn't cool...but you know - it's what you like...it certainly isn't a quality thing though. the money for the sans amp is just as well spent as on a U5. neither is better.

i dunno about the rack thing. maybe it does have a line out.

btw - if you have the $...try an API 312 type mic pre with a DI. wowsers. :eek:

bigtoe said:
btw - if you have the $...try an API 312 type mic pre with a DI. wowsers. :eek:

Interesting, I'm getting my hands on a Brent Averill 312a in a couple weeks. Looking forward to tracking some bass on it now :D

oh it rules. i have the original 312 but i'm sure they're close enough. have fun with it and hide your money form yourself...you'll probably want one... :eek:

bigtoe said:
oh it rules. i have the original 312 but i'm sure they're close enough. have fun with it and hide your money form yourself...you'll probably want one... :eek:

Nope, too late I already bought it :D

Just left a downpayment to buy it from a friend, sight unseen. Just going on recomendations. Should have it a couple weeks.

metalhead28 said:
Nope, too late I already bought it :D

Just left a downpayment to buy it from a friend, sight unseen. Just going on recomendations. Should have it a couple weeks.

an API is a safe buy. after a few years of having two i use em on vocals...i keep thinking i'll dig em on overheads but still prefer the hardys most times.

great on anything. kick snare they are good on too but i prefer the dakings there.

good buy!

MIke

Back