Sansamp PSA-1 quick question

Decay

I've got a question regarding the Sansamp PSA-1 . I just ordered one today (used), and I came to wonder what cables I would need in order to connect the PSA-1 to the line in on my mixer for direct recording. Seeing how the PSA-1 got stereo outs, do I need dual jacks or something?

Anyone feeling helpful?

XLR cable, and run it from the XLR out on the PSA to your XLR in on the board. This way, you'll have a balanced signal.

Another option...I'm still wondering why they split the 1/4" outs into L/R since it is a mono signal. Just run the 1/4" PSA-1 out to one of your 1/4" inputs on the board. That's all you'll need...just a simple 1/4" male to 1/4" male cable.

You can record direct with the PSA 1.0 or the 1.1, but it sounds much better if you run it thru an amp and mic it. If you intended to record direct, then you should consider a digital amp modeler. The PSA 1.x is not a digital amp modeler...it is all analog (except for the digital pre-sets in memory).

BTW - the PSA was one of my favorite purchases. It really sounds awesome on both guitar and bass.

Thanks man.

My only problem with running through an XLR cable would be the fact that I then would have to go through the micpre on my mixer.
would you reccomend using a XLR to jack cable? That way I could go balanced in to the line-in. But since my soundcard has unbalanced inputs, would there be any point in feeding a balanced signal to my mixer at all?

With regards to the XLR method, keep the phantom power off, keep the pre-amp off (or zero), and just use the faders on that channel to adjust levels. Many mixers also have balanced 1/4" plugs that you can use also.

I guess you could go from the PSA to the soundcard directly...never tried that. You'd still have to get some type of cable converter. If you go from both of the PSA 1/4" outs to a single stereo 1/8" plug (for your sound card). Although, I'm not sure if there will be impedance problems or not...? The PSA has a +/- 10db switch on the out...that may cure that problem.

If you run it thru the mixer, it might make things easier. That way, you won't need to keep plugging and un-plugging stuff from your soundcard. Just setup the mixer to do that, and now everything is easily accessible.

Slight misunderstanding there... I meant the line in on my mixer. Thanks for your help anyway, it's most appreciated.

Back