Samson C03 (I need to know, cuz I don't know how long, I can hold on)

Irk

What is the Samson C03 microphone like? Does anyone know? They're selling here for $99.95. The retail price is somewhere in the $200's, but the salesman says that the samson company is in their competetive phase, so that they are charging cheaper prices until word-of-mouth gets around and they can raise their prices. Is this a good microphone? How does it compare to other mics in the $100-$200 range?

Let me talk to Samson!...

Is this a good microphone?
From my experience using the CO1 (Free with the purchase of a hd recorder), I am very pleased with Samson's product. I am currently looking at other products they carry as well. As far as other mics in comparison I also own an AKG and a Shure condenser mic. I use the Samson for vocals.

Maters Of War-wasters Of More

Dear War and Peace,
Which AKG and Shure models do you have? Can you specify in the differences between the three of them? If you use the Samson for vocals, what do you use the other mics for? Do you only use the Samson fo vocals? If so, why?

Maters Of War-wasters Of More

Dear War and Peace,
Which AKG and Shure models do you have? Can you specify in the differences between the three of them? If you use the Samson for vocals, what do you use the other mics for? Do you only use the Samson for vocals? If so, why?
Thanks for the reply, K

I've heard a few good things about the c04, but samson mics generally get lukewarm reviews. I'm not saying that the salesperson is wrong in this case or that Samson mics are bad, but it is a good rule of thumb that you should never believe anything a salesperson tells you.

Here's a comparison for you. If you look around these forums awhile, you will find that most people bash Behringer gear (often for good reason). I have compared a Samson C01 and a Behringer B1 side by side for vocal recording, and I thought the Behringer had a less harsh upper end. In my hands (running through a SP VTB-1 pre) the Beh B1 was better. I am not sure how the 03 sounds though.

The Samson CO1 has a relatively high self-noise spec that makes hiss noticeable in quiet passages of a given song. I recall hearing the same thing said about the CO3. I'm not saying you can't make a fine recording with one. You can. But I think you can more easily make a fine and much quieter recording with a Studio Projects B1/B3.

Let me talk to Samson!...

The only reason I used the samson was because it was free. Also, it did have problems as soon as i got it and i had to fix it. I have a Shure SM57 (used for snare and other instrument applications) and an AKG C900 (which was the first actual mic bought for vocals)...

I have two samson C01's, super cheap and have done me well on vocals, acoustics, drum overheads, and some electric guitar, as well as various other stuff. I think they actually sound pretty good, but yes they do have a decent amount of noise, hasn't been too much of a problem for me though.

I've compared it with Rode NT5's, an ADK condenser, a Neuman and while it doesn't compare soundwise, I think it's a good bang for the buck and certainly will make good recordings if you learn to use it properly. Unfortunately haven't compared it to any other cheap condensers. Also, I don't treat mine all that great and the've been fine since the day I vought them.

If you want to hear a samson C01 being used on basically everything, check out a recording I did about a year ago when I first got it.

Back