Sampling

dayslikefriday

If you want to use a sound clip from a song, movie, or some speech... Do you have to ask for permission/pay money?

Does anyone know what the rules are?

Or, is it only if it goes over like... 30 seconds that you must pay?

'Cause I'd like to record some songs and add some extra sounds from other sources (speeches, other songs, movies etc.).

Make any sense?

Google is your friend -

"The most recent significant copyright case involving sampling held that even sampling three notes could constitute copyright infringement. "

If you want to use a sound clip from a song, movie, or some speech... Do you have to ask for permission/pay money?

Easy answer: ALWAYS

(And if you rip off a heavy gansta-rap studio fueled by drug money, be careful NOT to start your car or step out into the street....) ;-)

even though it is illegal, i say do it(depending on what you are using it for). if you are making 5000 cd,s and plan to sell them, then its probably not a good idea. if you are just doing it for fun and to pass out some stuff, go for it.

they are not going to chase you down.

tons of underground hip hop is sampled, and they dont get busted for it, even though they put out a lot of albums and do tons of shows.

dont take my advice though, thats just what i would do. i sample shit all the time, but i dont sell anything.

Back