Samplers-- software or outboard f/x?

jethani

Greetings, all.

I have decided after much deliberation to invest in a nice sampler for my Mac-Cubase home studio. The canned string sounds on my keyboard just don't cut it anymore. Being fairly new to the world of samplers, I have been studying up on several units, as well as demo-ing some of the better libraries out there.

I am torn between whether to get a standard, solid outboard unit (the E-mu ESI-4000, specifically), or save a few thousand bucks and get a sofware-based sampler (Bitheadz DS-1).

As far as I understand it, the DS-1 makes my Mac into a sampler. This has pros and cons. I don't want to overtax my CPU, given that I will be playing back many audio tracks w/ effects simultaneously from Cubase. The advantage to having a seperate module is that it has to carry its own weight in terms of processing.

Now, this new computer of mine is a G3 450 Mhz. It arrives today or tomorrow. Should I be worried about overtaxing its CPU? Or is it strong enough to take care of itself? Has anyone used either unit mentioned above? Recommendations? This will be my first sampler; should I get an outboard piece just to learn how they work? Or is software the place to be?

Help!

Cheers,
jethani

Back