Samplerate issues, and how...EMERGENCY

producerkid

OH EM GEE

Ok, so my dumbass recorded all the drum tracks in this current project im working on at the apparently wrong samplerate.

I set the projects up at 48K, but I used an external D/A that was sampling at 44.1K. So now, I've got a zillion drum tracks which all SAY they are tracked at 48K but that will only sample correctly (and sync correctly in Nuendo) if whatever clock source I have is running at 44.1K (regardless of the project attributes). Needless to say this is annoying and I cannot perform half of my editing functions.

Now, in my attempt to "fix" the problem, I found a formula for the tempo differential between 44.1K and 48K sampling rates and locked all tracks to TEMPO base rather than TIME base. Then I set the master tempo at the compensating tempo and changed the project attributes to 44.1K. This fixed the tempo mismatch issure, but all the files are still attributed to being recorded at 48K. This is where the problem lies.

So my question is, how do I straighten this out? Do I need to render each file to a different samplerate? I've tried this but I can't seem to get it right.

PLEASE HELP ME!! lol. I've got so much editing to do and I'm at a stand still until I can sort this out.

thanks guys
~the kid

hmmmm.......no one?

......sigh..... well i think i may have figured out what to do anyway but its not really a fix, its just another workaround

someone........ANYONE????!!! lol

Not sure what problem you are experiencing.
Why don't you resample them? Export them as new files at whatever samplerate you like then re-import them.

If you have soundforge, bring up the files and go to Process>Resample Pick the sample rate and check the box that says "set sample rate only (do not resample)

In wavelab, go to Edit>Audio properties and select the sample rate you need.

There may be a similar way to do this in Cubase, but I haven't looked.

There may be a similar way to do this in Cubase, but I haven't looked.
Yeah, there might be something like that in the audio process menu, I can't be sure as I've never needed to use that facility.

Whichever way you go about it, I think you just need to resample.

Yeah, there might be something like that in the audio process menu, I can't be sure as I've never needed to use that facility.

Whichever way you go about it, I think you just need to resample.

If he resamples, the timing in the session will be lost. It was recorded at the right sample rate, the file just thinks it's at a different sample rate. There is no point in resampling.

I know its been a little while, but Farview, I gotta question. I did the "set sample rate" trick in Sound Forge with a mixdown that suffered from the same fuckup, and I noticed a dramatic fidelity loss. Killed the high end and the seperation. So my question is, does this "pseudo-resampling" degrade the quality or is this just the difference between the two resoultions? If it is, that doesnt make much sense due to the fact that the files were technicly written at a true 44.1K resolution in the first place??

Makes my head hurt. (Found a workaround for now, but sooner or later will have to deal with it.)

Actually, I'd rather have the 48K resolution over 44.1K so I can still have high resolution mix headroom. So if that's maybe more feasable than "downsampling", I would prefer higher resolution.

Last edited:
All that "trick" does is change the part of the file that tells your audio program what sample rate it is. It doesn't do anything to the audio, except play it back at the right speed.

Are you sure that you had a 44.1k file playing back at 48k? All it should do is change the playback speed.

Back