Same song - 13 mixes

LooneyTunez

As a learning experience, another forum organized a mixing exercise where we were all given the same song/same source material, and it was our jobs to mix it. Everyone's final mixes (13 mixes made it in) were released today, and now the critiques begin. We are going to comment on each other's mixes, ask how they acheived the sounds they did, share ideas, etc. The participants range from seasoned pros to first time mixologists.

It's an awesome experience, and I think we should organize something like it on this forum. If someone has a great set of tracks of a great song, I'd be more than willing to organize a similar exercise.

Anyway, here's the link to the MP3s of our final mixes.

http://audio.hoppehome.com

I'd be interested to hear some feedback from you guys/gals on the mixes (mine in particular ;) Track 10).

Again, if you guys would be interested in doing something like this here, let me know and we can get something going.

Thanks,
Jay

I thought yours was one of the better mixes of the five I checked out. The "best" for me was #8, but I thought you had a good balance on everything, except that bari at the top was too loud for me. Its an interesting experiment to see how different people approach the same source material. Yeah, we should do something like this here if we could figure out how to get the file formats to go between platforms. How did you guys do it?

Lt. Bob needs to hear this one!

The one by Josep Tvrdy (jtvrdy) seem to be the best.This is a cool exercise though.What did you all mix on?

Cool exercise,

I listened to your mix and two others (Daniels, and "50 proof"'s) Daniels was simular to yours but, I liked the energy and punch of yours better. I'm sure there are more fine mixes in that list.........

Is this just mixing or mastering as well? Doesn't matter too much to me as it exceedes anything I can do;)

When I read the post, I thought this would be a great thing to try in this forum. After I listened to your mix, I knew I should sit in the corner and try not to get in the way of real mixers:D Then again, this sight is for the likes of me so it could be a great learning exercise even if the end result is mixing failure.

I've been so overwhelmed by the talent of the home recs on the board that I hardley feel like doing anything but lurking anymore.:(

Anyhoo,

You've some serious skill and knowlege that is apparent in your mix. Tantalizing post.

Theron

Yeah, we should do something like this here if we could figure out how to get the file formats to go between platforms. How did you guys do it?

The files were sent on CD as 24bit (some people needed 16bit as well) WAV or AIF files, all left justified. It seems that everyone can deal with those formats easily.

What did you all mix on?

I mixed in Vegas Video 3.0, but others did it in various programs/systems. Some used Nuendo, Logic, PT, etc. There may have been some people doing some analog stuff too (not sure).

Is this just mixing or mastering as well?

Well, it's mostly mixing, but some mastered as well. I did master mine (somewhat), and I really realize that someone else should probably do that part. I'm not objective enough when mastering my own mix.

I really think we could work something out for doing an exercise like this ourselves here. I've done two of these now, and helped out with this last one quite a bit. It can be done without too much trouble. It can be a lot of work or organize, but I've got too much time on my hands right now anyway. ;)

Thanks for your comments guys! It's very much appreciated. :cool:

BTW, I wanted to mention that the band that performed this song is a group of guys that were only 17 and 18 at the time. Yeah, there are some timing issues, but I never would have guessed their ages by just listening. Pretty cool. :cool:

I just recieved word that Roger Nichols will be doing an evaluation of these mixes today. *hold me, I'm scared* :eek:

Anyway, I'm really hoping to generate more interest in doing something like this on hr.com.

Anybody with me?

we should defiantely do this...I'd defiantely like to see what i can do...ha

but - I'd also suggest being able to download all the wavs (maybe a zip)...for those with fast internet.

I'd also suggest being able to download all the wavs (maybe a zip)...for those with fast internet.

This is a possibility, although it could still take several hours to download. I am looking into having my own dedicated server at the company I work for, so that would increase our chances of doing it that way.

Doing a CD by mail seems to work out quite well though, and there are ways of getting overseas people involved as well.

If we can generate some more interest, and get some good tracks, let's go for it. It's a blast, and a great learning experience. Everyone from newbies to pros can benefit from this, so let get the word out! :)

hell yeah, i say do it.

somebody (not me...haha) take the initative? haha.

similarly, over at the N-Track forum, people are putting a song together so that newbies with ntrack can just practice some stuff...take a ganger over there if you're interested..

Back