Same here. 1st recording and mix on new equipment

Re-mix is uploaded

Hi. The re-mix for BITC is uploaded now. Back in the City

As I said before, I compressed the fills a second time and took off the reverb. I also lowered the level a bit. I panned these fills left to right but you can't tell it because of PTF. I don't seem to be able to record a stereo mix using this program and I don't know why. I think it's a POS program, but it's all I have for now.

I brought the bass up and used some EQ in the mids.

I brought the intro and outro up on the guitar.

I also backed of the low end on the kick and rolled some of the highs off of the snare and HH.

Please let me know what you all think of the remix.

It still sounds like crap to me over the internet. I can't listen in Hi-Fi because of my connection, and it's not stereo... at least it doesn't sound like it..

ok those drums at the very begining sound EXACTLY like "rasberry beret "..by PRINCE....btw..lol....country not my thing however these lyrics are pretty good....ok..most of them are ...lol@kiss my behind.....LOSE THIS DRUM SOUND.....it sounds like a kareoke bar......harmonies are good on here too....
well you have all the elements of a good country song.......truck reference......working.....ol boy......all of it!!!.....

good job

jamal :cool:

Thanks for listening.

I'd like to loose the drums, but they are the only ones I have. I can program them, which I did, but they all sound the same.

That's a nice little ditty Sennheiser. I'm not a country guy, but this is a good piece of writing for sure. The recording sounded nice, diggin' the new equipment, eh? I like the vocals (nice voice), they're very real and "down home". I think that's why the drums kind of bothered me. A bit too rigid and obviously not real. If you could get more of a played kit feel there I think you'd have something great. Can that even be done? No offense, I'm a drummer so I'm a bit biased that way :rolleyes: Sorry no mixing comments, don't know what I'm doing there and I thought it sounded very clean and clear all around. Overall great job, I like it :D

Sen- I was doing some pondering and I hope you take this is the right way but I have a real hard time getting into the music because of the casio. The songs really need to sound like a band playing but it still sounds like a guy playing guitar over a casio.

You obviously know how to record pretty well so this is very subjective but I think your sounds are just making your life difficult. You shouldn't have to work too hard to get a decent sound and I just think without a lot of computer tricks (individual sample editing and very suave sequencing) those drums just aren't going to work. I know you prefer more traditional methods so why fight it?

I think you would be better off as a musician and an engineer if you force yourself to try recording everything acoustically. Run the keyboard through an amp and mic it for the Rhodes tone. Bang on boxes or any type of percussion and try to make it work for drum sounds. If you can get some real drums then even better. Even a shitty bass with one string will sound better than most bass samples for acoustic based music.

You can also even use a certain amount of 'cheeze' to work for you. Instead of trying to make the casio sound like a real drummer try making it sound more like a crappy drum machine and use that to be the 'city' part of the arrangement. I think for that to work you would have to have the other parts be a little more raw and 'country'. You can mix that with real drums and percussion for a better feel.

The more interesting you can make the individual parts sound the easier it will be to mix it. It's really hard to make mediocre sounds good without resorting to tons of compression and EQ and in the end the sound is still not what you really need.

The vocals and acoustic work fine (I still think they're a little too wet but that's my tase). If you can build a more sonically interesting landscape around them then the song will be that much better.

Sorry to ramble with a bunch of subjective bullshit. I think the changes you made are improvements but I don't want to blow smoke up your ass and waste your time suggesting you do a bunch of stuff that will make it sound better but it may never sound great.

Reach for your inner Brian Wilson instead of your inner Mutt Lang and all will be revealed ;)

Thanks Tex. I appreciate it. I didn't edit anything or use any computer effects on the mix. I just mixed on the console while recording into PTF.

There a some fader movements and knob turning that has to be done during the mixing down. I have more that one part on some of the tracks. (No bounce!)

Thanks for the kind words about my recording ability.

I guess I'm going to have to get a kit and start playing again. Man oh man...and a bass. I'd probably be better off hiring a drummer. There's not much I can do about the drums for now, but I'll try miking it on the next number and see if gets any better.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Sennheiser,

I listen to your song, all of them actually. First three had a pretty bad buzz in the mix. But concerning the song of this thread, I felt the guitar was too far back in the mix and the drums were too far forward. But then I'm in here trying to get pointers myself, so don't put too much weight in my critques. :D Keep up the good work.

<><
George

Thanks George. I had a bad ground loop problem from the console to the computer when I uploaded the first three.

I have to lift all of the grounds on my computer system to avoid it. I don't like doing it, but it's the only way to keep the buzz out.

very buffetesque, all the way down to the wet reverb!

it's a good song but you have some work to do imo. if you have a computer the cheapest route to fixing those drums may be to try out some loop libraries.

what i'd do (remember i'm nobody) is keep the vocals and guitar and maybe the bass and ditch everything else. doesn't sound like you invested too much time in the drums and keyboards so that shouldn't be too hard to let go of.

i actually would rather hear just you and your guitar and someone slapping their knee. just a matter of taste i guess but the current arrangement isn't doing much to support the song imo. it's actually pretty distracting.

I agree with TexRoadKill on trying to get to an all acoustic recording but sometimes that just isn't practical so you gotta cut some corners. you may have cut some of the corners a little too sharply here in the percussion area.

just my two cents. thanks for posting.

ps. i'm really tempted to offer a collaborative effort but i'm afraid i have too many problems in my own music right now :).

Thanks for the time. Actually it did take awhile to work out the key part so I'm going to keep that. It's the only part that is actually written down on a grand staff.

Thanks for the comments. I do appreciate it.

I have given up on getting a stereo mix into NWR.

Pro Tools Free is combining a L&R channel into mono, no separation, no panning, no nothing. Both channels are there and there is absolutely no separation in channels.

I tried Cool Edit 2000. Only allows a 60 second sample. Don't know whether that's stereo or not. Doesn't matter much if I can't upload the whole song. I aborted the upload and I ditched that too.

I did find a bad adapter with my meter this afternoon. That explains alot, but not why I can't upload a stereo mix in PTF. Even after the problem was found and corrected, I still couldn't get PTF to bounce a true stereo mix.

I'm going to post something on this problem somewhere. I have to get another beer, pull out a few more hairs, and find the correct forum.

If it wasn't for the fact that no one but my family would EVER hear my music, I wouldn't give a rat's ass. But then I would get no feedback except all the "oohs and aahs" that everyone's family gives them. And I don't want that. I want to hear an honest evaluation from YOU people.

Thanks.

Michael

Back