safe solvent for chrome

VertuGoGo

my pickups have "duncan designed" written on the chrome cover. they sound good and i don't need to replace them, but i just don't like the writing--makes them look cheap. is lighter fluid a safe way to remove the writing without damaging the chrome? any other solvents that would do the job?

It depends on the solvent base of the print.Denatured alcohol for water based or acrilic paints and laquer thinner for solvent based prints. Any paint store will have both.

I would agree that laquer thinner would do the trick. Just be careful that you don't get it on anything else and if you do remove it immediately. Have some clean cotton towels handy just in case.

You should also put a coat of wax on the chrome afterwards to protect it from moisture/sweat. Perspiration can be very corrosive.

philboyd studge said:
Automotive bug and tar remover will most likely work, and be safer than solvents.
Never, it wouldn't work. That stuff is lamp oil.

Obviously don't drip laquer thinner on any finish surface but it won't damage polished metal. Just buff it back up.
What could be a real problem is if the coating is embossed or etched into the chrome, cleaning would just make a mess. Not likely to be the case on pickups...maybe a Harley.

any solvent you use should be ok on the chrome as long as, you don't get it anywhere else, and the chrome does not have any type of coating on it. Any good chrome will hold up to fine steel wool or better yet brass wool as well.

(I am not saying that yours will)

Good luck.

Hey Jake, carosine (lamp oil) is excelent for cleaning most plastics without damaging. It works awsome for cleaning adhesive off of vinal windows (like in a jeep).

Later

F.S.

Back