Saddest Song EVER

Fall for chains of silver
fall for chains of gold

Kasem's top 40 always went to Luka...

I followed Vega from her first album for years. She'd play The Folk Cafe, 2 shows a night for a few nights and I'd go to all of them. She was a nervous player. As the years went on, she grew into her own. She always had awful taste in clothing.

Luka was in her set years before she recorded it. I used to tape her shows. I sang that song almost two years before it was released. People would say "what the hell are you singing?" Mind you I sing off key so I knew I sounded awful. But, I loved the song, and told them "She's gonna release this, and it's gonna be a hit." It was easy to peg. It's a great song.

I followed Vega from her first album for years. She'd play The Folk Cafe, 2 shows a night for a few nights and I'd go to all of them.

Luka was in her set years before she recorded it. I used to tape her shows. I sang that song almost two years before it was released. People would say "what the hell are you singing?" Mind you I sing off key so I knew I sounded awful. But, I loved the song, and told them "She's gonna release this, and it's gonna be a hit." It was easy to peg. It's a great song.
'Honey' was the reasdon my wife wouldn't let me cut down a miserable tree in our yard for a couple of decades. We didn't even plant the thing.
Then a disease took out all of that kind in our neighborhood and the association made us take it down.
It's sad when something that's been around so long is gone. If was dead, it's understandable. I live in a 90% Indian area, and as soon as the white people sell to the Indians, the first thing to go are all the trees in the yard. We have a few beauts, and I'm sure they'll be removed within weeks when we leave next week.

It's sad when something that's been around so long is gone. If was dead, it's understandable. I live in a 90% Indian area, and as soon as the white people sell to the Indians, the first thing to go are all the trees in the yard. We have a few beauts, and I'm sure they'll be removed within weeks when we leave next week.
Why?

Why what? That Indians cut down trees? They just do. We moved to Iselin in 1999, and it was already majority Indian. But, I've seen many houses sell (once this was majority white) to Indians, and the first thing they do is have the trees removed. I've never asked why. It might be for the sun. They come from India, where it's hotter than hell. Trees create shade and cooler temperatures. Many wear open sandals in the winter time, which floors me.

If it's why I feel bad when old living trees are cut down, it's because they could have possibly been here before us. They're not bothering anyone, they're just doing their thing. Humans are top of the brain chain. But, we're also too arrogant for our own good.

This is what you'd have to do to me to get me to listen to Jewel.
View attachment 111275

I love female vocalists. Besides the 30s - 60s, Suzi Quatro was really the first straight up rock and roll leather clad female vocalist/bassit (Sherilyn Fenn's aunt). Many greats followed. Joan Jett, Patty Griffin, Lucinda Williams, Sinead O'Connor, Kim Shattuck I LOVE female vocalists/songwriters. Then came the 90s Sarah McLaughlin and Jewel and a few others that are so horrible in every way, shape and form, I thought it was the end of the great female voices. Thankfully women got past them and their CDs are deservedly in every thrift store for a quarter.
Man that is so funny! Ford's n Chevies man thank God for diversity. I really like all the women you like a lot ( actually got to see Suzi at the whisky a million years ago) maybe it's my religious upbringing and church music but I also really like Sara and Jewel...and for you it's like finger nails on a chalkboard. :unsure:
Songwriting women I dig ...of course the queen Carole King, Carly Simon, Sheryl Crowe, Joni Mitchell, oh and lets not forget friggin Linda Ronstadt

Had no idea what an influence she had on so many people and the people that she hung with in the documentary below....

If it's why I feel bad when old living trees are cut down, it's because they could have possibly been here before us. They're not bothering anyone, they're just doing their thing. Humans are top of the brain chain. But, we're also too arrogant for our own good.

I know it seems bat shit crazy but 40+ years ago some researchers attached polygraphs to a bunch of plants in a room, They then sent a man in and he went to one of the plants pulled it out and tore it to shreds...all of the plants went crazy on the graph. They then had him walk in a week or so later....guess what as soon as he walked in the plants went off the hook... here is a link to an interview with Cleve Backster ( he wrote the book I read 40 years ago “The Secret Life of Plants” )....40 years later a ton of study and it is believed by many scientist that plants are indeed conscious.
When we are out walking my wife might say oh god that is an ugly plant or tree or at the store picking out a plant from several others and say I don't like that one. I'll tell her shhh they have feelings and can sense what you are feeling.. see we humans think we're the shit cause we communicate verbally with auditory vibrations see with our eyes.. plants "feel" ..I'll apologize to the offended plant for her and tell them they are awesome and she meant them no disrespect. And she still sleeps in the same bed with this whacko!

I tell the trees when I am trimming, I am not trying to harm them, I'm doing it so their branches don't break and damage them.. They know ;) maybe?

Below is from the full article Here

Although no plant has a central nervous system, some researchers are exploring the field of neurobiology in botany. The International Laboratory of Plant Neurobiology (LINV) in Florence, Italy argues that having a brain should not be a prerequisite for intelligence. “We firmly think that all the behaviors observed in plants, which look very much like learning, memory, decision-making, and intelligence observed in animals, deserve to be called by those same terms,” the LINV website reads.

Plants are conscious, according to LINV director Stefano Mancuso, an arboriculture professor at the University of Florence. Mancuso’s case for plant consciousness hinges on evidence that they are aware of their existence, of their surroundings, and of the passing of time. Among other things, Mancuso quotes the renowned physicist Michio Kaku and argues that, if consciousness is the ability to build a model of yourself in relationship to space, others, and time, then plants therefore must be conscious, because of their sensitivity to chemical and physical stimuli, to their competitors, and between themselves. Plants even deserve rights, Mancuso writes in his book La Nazione Delle Piante, where he drafts out an eight-article plant constitution for the “only, true and eternal powerful nation of the planet.”

Last edited:

Plants have the right to be smoked in my pipe.

Damn the way you did that it looks like personally said all those things when in fact, all but the "you might think it's crazy" quote are quotes from the links I posted :eek:

Once a plant is dead, like all things that die, they eventually turn to dust so smoking them in your pipe is quite alright...feel no guilt

I don't think i've bought a record of a female in my life. Nor have I ever attended a show headlined by a female artist. I can appreciate a good sammich, though. All (chauvinistic) humor aside, the female artists I do like, or appreciate, are on one or the other extreme....rough & tumble, or sensitive & vulnerable. Whores or virgins? heh. One thing I like to do, because I might appreciate the song, and also as sort of a social experiment, cover a somewhat mainstream song originally done by a female. Maybe a song that is somewhat recognizable, but a bit off the beaten path. It's kind of a mind f*ck for the listener, especially for the guys. They might say, "Hey, I like that song.....who does that song?" Sometimes you can do a popular song, but for some reason the original artist just doesn't register when covered by a male. My wife introduced me to Sarah McLachlin some years ago, whatever her big album was. Whoever plays guitar in her band adds some tasty bits to her recordings. Adia, I have no idea what the song is about, or care to know, regret maybe?......but it's a beautifully sad song. Another off that album I covered, mystery to me the meaning, vampires, soul sucking love interests?....whatever, that wasn't the purpose of covering it. Was also instrumental in exercising the incorporation of the falsetto. When the pipes get rusty falsetto can be one of the first things to go. It's probably not the best example of what I was saying about a guy covering a female song. I guess I just like the song, and the guitar. I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea. Adia would probably be better to cover.

Last edited:
One of my favorite female artist songs. Also both Cyndi Lauper and Dolly Parton are influential and IMHO friggin great song writers

• Love
Reactions: TAE
One of my favorite female artist songs. Also both Cyndi Lauper and Dolly Parton are influential and IMHO friggin great song writers

Both brilliant singers, songwriter and performers.....the full package and then some! Likewise Tori Amos is fantastic

Christy Mc Vie and Alison Krauss are about the only female artists I care for. I am sure there are others, but these two for sure. I just don't have an ear for the female voice. But these two bring so much to the table.

Reactions: TAE
Back